Going to learn to play trumpet soon...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harmonicat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Harmonicat: More likely you'll want to play popular music in some genre, and not that much is specifically written or available in sheet music for a Bb trumpet and that is where my ability to sight read piano, voice, and guitar (PVG) music has been a blessing to me given by Mother playing piano and my band director because we had to if we wanted any music at al. during the scarcity of WWII and we scrounged to borrow such from the whole community and hand copied our parts, transposing as we went for whatever instrument we played.

As a very young boy before puberty, we were taught in grade school the lines of spaces in the treble clef with a word or ditty: for the spaces it was the word FACE, and for the lines it was the ditty Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge, but later in my life I put these in sequence as EFGABCDEF. Still, later in band was taught the space below the staff was a D and next on the line was a C. For a moment let me stop here, to tell you this in the only line between the treble and bass clef or as some say the G clef and the F clef. A pianist calls this a "middle C" as it is just left of center on an 88 key piano keyboard. Should you descend further and alternating space and line, next will be a B in the space and the next will be an A on the top line of the bass clef and you can now fill in the blank ____ with the next letter. Did you notice there are only 7 letters ... it's easier than the English alphabet. Going back to the grade school pattern and alternating space and line we can ascend above the staff.

However, all this for piano pitched in the concert key of C, and you are about to play a Bb (the "b" representing a flat for this computereeze). Visualize in your mind that piano keyboard as is a mixture of white and black keys. All the white keys are just a repetitive pattern of the letters I've just mentioned. If there is one, a black key to the left of a white key is a flat of the white key, a "b". Now if there is a black key to the right of a white key it is a sharp of the white key to its left symbolized by #. Whether to the right or left of a white key the black key is a semi-tone apart from the white key. Where there is no black between a pair of white keys, these white keys are also a semi-tone apart.

Now you're ready to play your Bb instrument! Remembering what I just stated, you'll realize the Bb is 2 semi-tones lower than a C, but when you actually want to play that piano music and sound a C you see before you in PVG music on your Bb trumpet, you must play 2 semi-tones higher and this process is called transposing.

Is one of your harmonicas a C chromatic? If so, you may understand, and playing by ear you can duplicate the tones of a piano.

END OF MY LESSON.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Welcome to TM!

So, you're a harmonica playing who is looking to take up the trumpet. I'm a trumpet player, who picked up the chromatic harmonica about 3 years ago. It's a fun instrument to play, and I use it often in my jazz trio.

On a different note, there are a lot of old farts here on TM (myself included, I guess). Being 23 years old is nothing. :-)

Mike

3. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I just figured out why I'm not making any progress on the trumpet. ;-)

Mike

4. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh wow thanks! And yes I do have a C Chromatic...though I mostly play diatonic. Got a ton of those in different keys, including a harmonic minor one in the key of A. I forgot to mention I was teaching myself melodica ("wind piano") a while back and was trying to learn about the piano keys to play it. I stopped for now because college got in the way, but I do plan on continuing with that...hopefully it can help me with music theory as well as I was starting to get the hang of it a bit.

5. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup! And awesome! I own a Hohner Chromatic that I got as a gift for my 20th birthday but haven't completely gotten the hang of it yet like I have with my diatonics. It is a lot of fun though, I just need to play it more, it's still quite different than a diatonic harmonica.

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    There are many ways to play the trumpet incorrectly. Finding a good teacher early on will help you avoid these mistakes and save you the trouble of having to correct bad habits, since you won't have formed them in the first place. The trumpet is one of the most difficult instruments to play, and the sense of accomplishment you will have as you improve will motivate you to continue to do even better. What will be discouraging is the time it takes to get better at it. Lots of patience will help, and lots of proper practice should keep things moving along. Enjoy the ride, and trust that you will overcome the inevitable bumps along the way. And, as has been said before, you have an invaluable resource in TrumpetMaster.com.

7. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks! I hope to not get into bad habits (heard a lot about that, they're hard to fix.) I got into bad drawing habits before and it took a while to recover. Not fun, haha.

8. TrumpetMD

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I hear you. Diatonic and chromatic harmonicas are two completely different instruments, and both types are very cool.

Mike

9. Officer235

Officer235 New Friend

Apr 25, 2010
    Latrobe, PA
    Hey, I just started at the tender age of 61 and was just happy that I could make a nice pure sound. Had a ton of distractions but now I have more time to get serious about the trumpet. I found out that a friend of mine (who we had just reconnected with) had a career of being the music director of a local school and had majored in trumpet at college (while I was in the USAF). He's offered me free lessons which I'll definitely take him up on after all this &*(%%$ snow stops.
    The best advice I can offer is to get a tuner or a keyboard (now they have apps for smart phones and stuff). I have a Korg AW3T tuner and it has helped me a lot to get a good steady centered sound. (now I have to learn to make the same sound over again! :). Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Lots of support here!

10. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Hey, Harmonicat, welcome to trumpet and to TM. I'm sure your experience playing harmonica and melodica will help you with trumpet. I agree with the others that it's a good idea to take lessons if you can. I'd also suggest that you listen to lots of trumpet players, and listen to your own sound. Playing in front of a mirror can be helpful, so that you can see if you're making weird contortions or strange facial expressions. And then you can use those weird contortions in your animations...! Seriously, though, have fun playing! That's by far the most important part. For reading - if you know some songs by ear, try to get a look at the sheet music for them. It may help you to make sense of the notes. Play on!