Going to learn to play trumpet soon...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Harmonicat, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh my gosh, thanks for making me laugh...I do make faces in the mirror...or faces at myself when animating. Hahahaha!
    Thanks for the advice!

2. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Mr. Harmonicat, My hat is off to you. You are about to embark on an epic journey.

I am 54 years old. I played trumpet in High School, then put the trumpet away. The in December of 2012, I decided to try to play the trumpet again.

I never had a trumpet teacher in High School. My band director, a sax player, way my teacher. After getting a trumpet teacher, I now know I was not the player I thought I was. Many, many bad habits that had to be (and are still being) broken.

Get yourself a good trumpet teacher. Start this journey in the correct direction.

BTW, I love playing this darn trumpet. Sometimes it is hard to start practice, but I always end up having to force myself to stop (or my lips may fall off). True enjoyment!!! (Remember to rest as much as you play. That was my biggest mistake, playing til my lips fell off)

Good luck, I will be looking for progress posts.

3. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Harmonicat, best advice I can offer you beyond what anyone else has said here is: lose the negitude! A lot of what you wrote in your initial post sets you up for a poor mindset. A lot of it is just supposition. Hell, you're 23 and you're talking like an old man! You want to do it, do it!

4. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
  5. lipnutz

lipnutz Pianissimo User

Dec 17, 2013
    Be patient and give yourself at least, oh, five weeks to master the trumpet. It's so hard.

6. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    So, Harmonicat - how's it going? Are you enjoying playing?

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Welcome to TM! Depending on your location Craigslist is a good source for inexpensive horns. I have even snagged a few pro horns at insanely low prices.

8. indigoblue

indigoblue New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    Well, it's never to late to try something new you always wanted to. It's good to see you already have a positive attitude starting out which you'll need. Congrats on getting up the courage to finally give it a try. If you have any questions or need some guidance that's what we're here for. It's never to late to start anything, keep the positive attitude and you might surprise yourself with the trumpet. Are you starting out with a teacher or are you learning on your own?

9. Harmonicat

Harmonicat New Friend

Dec 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Oh I haven't started yet, going to probably in May since I'm graduating college at the end of April. I wouldn't have time to play at this time, haha.

Thanks! And I'll be getting a teacher.

10. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Well, good for you. Warning - it can be kind of addictive...