Going to see Doc!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dow30, Oct 16, 2006.

1. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    Hi Manny,

Am going to see Doc this Friday. Doc’s Big Band Salute to Skitch with The New York Pops. I'm really excited. I've never seen him perform live so this will be quite a treat. Can'twait! :-)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Kim,

You'll love it. Try to see him afterwards. He's a very warm person and always happy to give autographs.

ML

3. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    Well, I'm starting to come off my 2 day high after seeing Doc. Was such a thrill to hear him preform live and conducting the NY Pops. His range was fantastic and tone like a bell, How Sweet! It was a salute to Skitch Henderson and to hear all those big band standards done with a full orchestra was great. One O'clock Jump, I've Heard That Song Before and an Ellington Medley were my favs but the whole show was just great. Can't say enough.

Now, when Doc first came out he was wearing black leather pants and a black satiny, sparklely jacket. (Now I did watch Doc for many years on the Johnny Carson Show) So I figured, well, Doc toned it down a bit, as it was a little more formal atmosphere for the Orchestra . No problem. Well, after the intermission, Doc comes prancing out on the stage in BRIGHT PINK tight leather pants. Yes I said "BRIGHT PINK" and a purple sparklely jacket!!!!
    Now that's the Doc I know! He called it his Purple Rain outfit!

His playing was superb, the show was entertaining, and he and the audience all had a Great time. What more can you ask for. And, I particularly liked when the violin section blew little bubbles during Bubbles in Wine. (remember when you were a kid and dipped the ring in that soapy liquid and blew bubbles.) Although I don't know how happy those violinists were have those bubbles landing on their very expensive instruments. The audience sure got a kick out of it though!

Doc Thanks for the Great Music!

4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I was lucky enough to have been playing in the orch. (NY Pops) that backed up Doc that night. He was (as always) gracious, and certainly in fine form. He looks half his age, and sounds even younger. The trpt. section had a chance to spend a little time with him, and try his new horns. It was really enjoyable.

Tony

5. dow30

dow30 Piano User

Apr 26, 2005
    NY
    Hi Tony,

I would have Loved to say "Hi" and meet you. You guys were great! Trumpet section was fabulous with One O'clock Jump. Are you playing with the Pops on any other occasions? Must have been a thrill to work with Doc.