Gold and Platinum Plating on Mouthpiece cups and Rims

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by trickg, Jun 12, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had some time to kill yesterday afternoon, so I decided to see if I could get the rim and cup of the Schilke 14A4 that I got for my Schilke B6 plated. I took it down to my friend's repair shop and got to watch him do it, which was pretty neat - it was very fast and very easy.

He wiped down the mouthpiece rim and cup, (I had just cleaned and polished it that day) clipped an electrode to the shank, and with the cotton tipped "wand" (also also attached electrially to the plating unit) began to brush on the gold solution. He then dipped the rim and cup into the container of solution and also stuck the wand in the solution, near to but not touching the mouthpiece. And that was it. He then wiped it off and did it two more times to get a thicker plating, but it was that easy - it took less than 5 minutes.

He offered to plate it in platinum, but I decided to stick with what I knew and stick with the gold.

Does anyone here have any experience with platinum plating on mouhtpieces?

2. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    I had a bad experience with getting a mouthpiece plated. It got sent off, but it was never returned to me. It was the companies fault nor was it my go between guy, Heavens2Kadonka, it was his college professor of all people. So irresponsible.

So, what would the advantage of getting your mouthpiece platinum plated? I've never really heard of anybody getting that done.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I am curious as how long this type of plating job will last. Please keep us informed. I am supposing that your silver was like new in order to do it this way; am I right?

I think that you should go for the platinum. I like gold. Platinum would be cool.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I didn't get it done in platinum, but there are a couple of things that would be advantageous to plating in platinum. For one, it is very hard so it would last longer than gold plating. For two, it is hypoallergenic so mouthpieces plated in platinum would eliminate allergic reactions to the player.

My question is how it would feel on the chops. Would it be slick, or would it grip even more than silver plating?