Gold bell, silver body

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Lazorphaze, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    When and where I get a new trumpet, I would like to get a completely silver, and then have the bell gold-lacquered. But I've never really understood the difference between lacquer and plating. So, could someone help me out?

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, lemme give it a shot.

Basically, lacquer has a bit of a darker tone than silver does. Silver has a tendency to be brighter, and also a bit harsher, in my opinion. Gold plating makes the tone even darker. But, a lot of that also depends on the materials the horn is made out of. Is your bell gonna be yellow brass, or rose brass? There are several factors to consider on this. Unfortunately, I'm not the resident expert on that, so don't take what I say to seriously.

3. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    should have made myself clearer. I would want yellow brass, and a silver body

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Sounds like you'd be looking for an old King Silvertone. Solid sterling silver bell on a lacquer body? Dillons usually has some and Ebay comes up with them once in a while.

Edit: Whups! I just reread your message... I reckon you are looking for the REVERSE of a King Silvertone! Can anyone comment on the effects of lacquer vs. plating on the valve block and "tubing" rather than just the bell? I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone specify what happens to the "plumbing"... only the bell.

5. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    The quick answer to the laquer-plating issue is: laquer darkens the sound, silver plating brightens it, and gold plating neutralizes it (makes it like raw brass). That is the very simplified version. Some people don't necessarily agree with that, but it seems to be the general consensus.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    As an additional comment, Lazor... I recommend you go to the Eclipse website and read what Noel has to say about different bells and finishes.

Just last night he commented to me that he got his medium heavy red? stripped of it's laquer and plated.... and found another 5th of range in the horn! Not that I would find a fifth (I usually go to the liquor store if I want a fifth) :) nor necessarily would you or Tom or Harry.

But the description of bell sizes, finishes, and materials seems pretty good to me.