Gold Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhhh, you don't do surgery brain surgery, do you? 'Cuz, I'm thinking that the hand-eye coordination needed to write the English language is considerably less than a brain surgeon would require.

I'll stick with the pills....

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I did see perhaps the coolest ever mouth piece on Ebay a few weeks ago. I think it was a Yamaha with a fairly deep rim, the rim itself was gold plated and was inscribed with a rather famous phrase, the language of Mordor in Elvish script "One Ring to Rule them All and in the Darkness Bind Them" I'm not sure if this gave you an advantage with quiet playing or made your sound a wraith like shriek but the mush iron looked very cool.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If it makes players invisible to conductors it could be a lot of fun.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I strongly suggest you investigate Jason's version of your Jet Tone in his SWE MP range - it will match the trumpet wonderfully well - and not just in appearance. My Monette B6 based Harrelson SWE B6 is an absolute joy and works on the Harrelson very much better than the Monette B6 which I use on my Getzen Classic (900).

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The way I see it, since we only use 20% of our brain, brain surgeons have a large range of error.

No, I am not a brain surgeon, I know how to coordinate plaids.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You leave old Gmonady alone. He is the first brain doner to make it this far, even if he now rides the short bus to work.

7. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Gold feels softer, wetter, and is prettier.

Or not. It's a bit subjective. :p

I think it does. I did a blind test and could tell the difference between it an silver--not because of the sound, but because of the feel on my face.

~Noah

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    How did this thread get back on topic????

rowuk likes this.
  9. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    That seems implausible - gold is only a slightly worse heat conductor than silver, and anyway they are applied in so very thin layers on top of the brass. I'd think the mass of the mouthpiece would be much more important.
    Would make an interesting subject for a scientific experiment!

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Blind tests for this don't work because we lip read. Or lip reed.

I cannot believe the good doctor spelled plaid correctly. Though I know he knows how to spell it if you take the P away. Which beats taking it here.