Gold Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Here's another thought...

My Wedge is stainless steel, it's even more slippery than gold!

2. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Placebo yes - gold and silver both are pretty darn hard when measuring 'hardness' with your lips.
    Placebo no - gold is certainly slipperier than silver (for whatever reason). No Doc, I've never had a silver polished so smoothly that it feels like my gold ones.
    Cool effect - Just a guess but I'd like to suggest that guys with gold mpcs wipe them down a lot more often than they do their silver ones; but that's just a s.w.a.g. guess.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Before or after you wipe off the blood left form blowing all those killer lead lines you play?

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'll be there but will likely leave the new toy at home for two reasons. First, I still don't have my coyote yet. Second, and more important, I just rehearsed with a group for the first time in 25 years last night. Not pretty...yet.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Used a really old Bach 1ΒΌ C gold plated mpc last night on my STRAD 37. Nice big fat sound. It did feel slipperyer than my silverish Giardinelli. It's from the same period as the STRAD 37 so they matched well! Hmm.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By the way, if you are wanting to send a mouthpiece off to GoldChops for gold plating, here is the address as I could not find it on his website:

GoldChops c/o Jim Dearing
    102 Laurel Circle
    Bangor, ME 04401

I am sending one off for my pocket trumpet to be plated today.

8. -C-

-C- Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2011
    Back in high school (a long time ago) I had my mouthpiece gold-plated because I liked how it looked with my silver Strad. But I found I preferred the feel so now it is more function than vanity.

The gold is warmer and more slippery. The latter means it's harder to cheat by pulling the horn tighter for high notes, a good thing in the long run.

Currently my mouthpieces are gold-plated only on the cup and rim as gold is a lot more expensive today.