Gold or Silver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 16, 2010.

1. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    You can get Gold and Silver plated mouthpieces, i know what i like best but what du YOU like best ?? and why ?? :play:

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Silver, lasts longer, and better grip!

3. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    my mind tells me I play better with gold, but since I've never played the same mouthpiece in silver, and then in gold, it might be just a good mouthpiece that happens to be goldplated....

There's 3 main reasons to go for gold over silver:
    - you get a hypersensitivity reaction when playing with silver
    - your saliva contains a certain substance which makes silver tarnish very fast
    - you like the look of gold more than silver.

I haven't noticed any real playing difference

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I purchased a couple of mouthpieces together. There were two sets. One set had a shallower cup, but the same rim and bore sizes as the other, deeper cup set. Each set included one in gold and one in silver. I found that I enjoyed each one for certain type music. The gold gives a warm solid sound. The silver gives a more brassy voice. The deeper cups give a more rich, deeper tone, and the more shallow cups give better upper range.

But, this is me. Not you. I could afford to experiment.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

12erlogro,

Of all my mouthpieces, I have one that is gold-plated - DW3. It has a "slick" feel on my lips which feels good. It does not have the "grip" characteristic of silver-plate. I have not gold-plated my other silver-plated mouthpieces for financial reasons, nor do I plan to. If you can afford to buy a gold-plated that is your perogotive. Whether you believe it will do for you what you are searching for, go ahead. Would you have a friend who has a gold-plated mouthpiece you could try? You may like gold-plated, but then again you might find silver-plate is just fine. It often is a subjective call at best.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

6. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    I use a gold plated i haven't tried a silver hahaha

7. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    I've only every played silver or (and not very often) a very very old mouthpiece that was almost raw brass on top.

Any reason why this thread is not in the mouthpiece section?

8. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    i get bether respons here

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Prøv dette på nytt! HA HA Jeg ville velge den som ser de kuleste. På den måten hvis du spiller stinker, vil du fortsatt se bra ut! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Seriøst om, sølv håndtak bedre.

10. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    write in english or learn norwegian ROFL