Gold or Silver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 16, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ledsen ROFL oops, Anteeksi maybe?:lol::lol:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    12erlgro,

Seems your question has been answered. Others have told you what they like about silverplated and goldplated mouthpieces. One uses goldplate mouthpieces exclusively. Others use a combination of both and others use only silverplate. Suspect there may be others who prefer stainless steel and lexan, too.

Play on,

Lloyd

3. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    :thumbsup:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gold. I have no cold sores on the corner of my mouth since switching in 1997.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    You cant miss the cool factor when everyone else has a boring silver and yours is gold. But the real reason that I use gold is that it never seems cold after long periods of waiting to play. It feels smoother and softer to my lips, and more comfort is a good thing to us more "mature" players. Best wishes.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I switched from a Schilke 14A4a to a Schilke 14A4 (has the more open "c" backbore) and thought I'd really pimp it out by taking to a friend who has a plating setup for small items - I just wanted the cup and rim plated.

Mistake - the gold was so much more slick that I lost the grip with the silver I needed. Fortunately some careful buffing on my buffing wheel along with some elbo grease and Brasso was able to take the gold plating off of the rim. The cup is still gold on the inside but I got the grip back.

So, for me it's silver plated all the way, although I'm curious about trying a polished stainless steel mouthpiece.

7. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    So the Norwegian translation says to pick whichever one looks good ... lol

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I prefer the feel of a gold mouthpiece over a silver one (less sticky), but not enough to spend the bucks for gold plating. I seriously doubt that a layer of plating a few microns thick on a big machined chunk of brass can alter the sound produced, other than is due to differences between the slick/sticky aspect of the plating (gold vs silver).

9. tptmusicaz

tptmusicaz Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2006
    Arizona
    Prior to 1996, I had only played on silver...I got a gold plated mouthpiece (same Bach 3C I had been playing on) in 96 and never looked back. I don't have the grip problem that several people have mentioned between silver and gold...I just prefer the feel of the gold...it does feel softer. Now I only own gold plated mouthpieces (I guess it helps that Monette only gold plates his mouthpieces too!) ROFL

James

10. DoreRJ15

DoreRJ15 New Friend

Nov 17, 2010
    i have difference pending on what im playing. i prefer Gold for classical playing, it gives a "smoother" feel on the lips.
    i use Silver for Jazz/Marching band i find it gives more "bite". granted my endurance suffers but its worth it.