Gold or Silver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 12erlgro, Nov 16, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Actually (I think) it says pick the one that looks the best, that way if you suck, you will still look cool! ROFL I was having fun on a rainy day with Google translator.

2. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Are you kidding ? There is silver under the gold.

3. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    I've never used a gold-plated mouthpiece. The silver-plated ones suit me just fine. But I've known people to play the gold-plated ones due to allergic or hypersensitive reactions to silver plate.

4. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    No kidding!

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

A gold plate job will last much longer if only for the fact that after the gold wears off there will be silver underneath. Maybe you are saying that silver lasts longer than the gold layer does?

6. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Yes, silver lasts longer! There is no gold under silver....maybe for a reason:roll: It's easyer to maintain goldplating, but it is much softer.

I have replated a lot of mouthpieces, and some of them at Leigh McKinney's plater, who also plates Rolls Royce parts! 5 years ago, and it's not much gold left at contact points! My silver pieces still looks like new, exept for the shank!

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Of course, silver plating lasts longer than gold - it's a harder metal, so it wears more slowly. Plus, the silver plating on mouthpieces is usually thicker than the gold.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    1. Gold is much more difficult to plate to brass, so silver is used first, then gold is plated to the silver.
    2. Very few people are sensitive to gold; many people are allergic to silver, especially if it's tarnished.
    3. Gold is much more resistant to tarnish than silver, so it requires less polishing. If you use an abrasive polish on your silver, it won't last as long as the gold. If you use a chemical polish on your silver, it will far outlast gold.
    4. Gold is much sexier, especially on a silver trumpet with a gold wash bell. On a lacquer horn, not so much.

9. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Hands down gold. My buzz is better. Whatever the properties are of gold vs silver, my lips are able to move better. They seem to 'stick' more to silver if that makes sense.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I play gold rims because I like a slicker feel. I don't like to grip the mpc. My mpcs are 25 years old and the only wear is where the shank is inserted into the receiver