Gold or Yellow Brass Bell

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bach 1 1/4C Man, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Bach 1 1/4C Man

Bach 1 1/4C Man Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2004
    Gold or Yellow Brass Bell. which one is better which one is good for concert and jazz and which one gives you a nice dark fat Bach sound?

2. felix c

felix c Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Puerto Rico
    My trumpet techer have a 43 G Bach, The G is for gold brass, This material is supossed to give a very warm sound. And it is. Yellow brass is the standard, I have hear that Gold brass also blends very well with other trademarks in any playing situation. hope this help

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Gold brass has a higher copper content than yellow brass.

Generally a trumpet with a gold brass bell will have a warmer sound than one with a yellow brass bell. Either is applicable to legit or jazz situations..it depends on what sound you want.

A nice fat Bach sound usually comes from a good player playing a nice,dark fat Bach ( Or a fat player with a nice, dark Bach..had to throw that in :) ). Mouthpiece and practice will have a lot to do with that..I'm no Bach expert but I believe that the different model bells respond differently.The 72 and 65(?) bells I believe are darker ie they have slow flares. I think the Bach web site has an explanation about the different bells and their characteristic. They also have some trumpets that are heavyweights, (H) after the model number and the Vindabona which is a (conical?) bore trumpet which is on the dark side.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor

4. jo-rae-me

jo-rae-me New Friend

Apr 9, 2004
    Hi...just my 2 cents worth...the vindabona is a step up...or step down bore. Depending which way you look at it. The size changes. Its not one bore all the way through.
    Cheers
    Jo