Gold plated mouthpieces???

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by George.S, Jan 11, 2009.

1. George.S

George.S New Friend

Dec 23, 2008
    Belfast, Northern Ireland
    Hello again everybody!

The other day, I was in my local music shop pricing and trying out a few different mouthpieces and I came across a few gold plated mouthpieces. They were far more expensive than the normal plated mothpiece of the same make and model. My question is this: Is there any particualr reason or advantage for playing on a gold plated MP or are they bought purely for cosmetic reasons

Thanks to all
    GS

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Gold is softer and that means it scratches easier. That causes microgrooves that hold water better. That makes them feel slicker for the chops which is good for some people (like me). It also does not tarnish and that means that allergies are less likely (although still possible). Since I switched to gold plate, the lip infections that I used to get have never come back.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If I can add to Rowuk's comments:

The gold plated MP feels warmer, tastes different (better), and the lips certainly 'slide' better over the surface - all my active MPs are gold plated, as are some of my spares. I hesitate to go back to the silverplated ones, although these I keep clean in a MP pouch for use by others at training workshops.

Even though the gold is soft, I find no difficulty in maintaining the MP in good condition, if I apply the same care to the MP as I do to the trumpet.

Just to underline my feelings about the positiveness and worth of a goldplated MP, I have had my #1 Son's tuba MP, and my #2 Son's trombone MP goldplated.

Is plating worth the money - I think so, yes.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

Your claim that the gold plated mouthpieces are much more expensive is valid. Have you perused the current price of Gold? It is beyond any form of reason.

OLDLOU>>

5. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Everything I wanted to say is said above. But I will add that gold mouthpieces also look a lot cooler than silver plate and gold is easier on the lips (for me).

6. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    gold mouthpieces are worth the price only if they are worth it to you. some people prefer them, some like silver. my personal opinion is that it depends on the size, rim, and style im playing in. now, as far as a main piece, i used to use a gold yamaha. then i switched to a warburton, and immediately tried gold but found that what worked on the yamaha did not on the warburton. so this is one for you to decide. everything said here is true. but try before you buy.