Gold plated Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tikitrona, Oct 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. tikitrona

tikitrona New Friend

Feb 7, 2010
    So I got a stomvi combi, used and worn but still in good playing condition. It's pretty scratched up, not too noticeable from a distance but definitely up close. I was always used to silver trumpets, so polishing them and keeping them shiny and healthy was a habit of mine. What I'm interested in is doing the same for my gold trumpet. I want it to shine once more. What can I use to make the gold shine and keep it that way. I know gold normally requires little maintenance. I've heard of just bathing it with warm water (or hot) and soap (will any brand do?). Also heard of hagerty products. Input guys?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Warm water with a little mild dish washing liquidis all that is necessary to clean it. I keep a microfibre cleaning cloth in the case with my gold plated Eclipse and wipe it down after playing to remove fingerprints that seem to attract dirt.

I would be very careful of polishing it, commercial gold plating is usually around 4-5 microns thick, 1 micron = 1/1000 mm. Scratches are almost impossible to remove unless very shallow, it is easy to go through the gold.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Non ammonia window cleaner and a soft cloth.