Gold plating John Lynch Asymmetrics

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by ronald wilk, Apr 7, 2004.

1. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida

Sirs:
    Does anyone have experience with gold plating an asymmetric MP? I have personally found the GP'd MP's to be more "lip friendly."

I have sent several e-mails to Mr. Lynch's web site but to date have not received a response. As a sidebar, I might add that although many on this and other sites have found his MP to be less than useful, I suspect that the lack of interest is due to their unwillingness to suffer the required learning curve. The rewards are, however, bountiful.

2. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    I don't use Asymmetrics anymore, but I fully agree with your view on people's opinion on this mouthpiece. Six minutes is not enough time to adapt to a new stick shift (for those who drive them) let alone mouthpiece. During the time I used the lead model, it definately helped me play the lead trumpet parts my senior year of high school. Though I didn't see any "extra notes" per say, I definately felt that my playing was more efficient. Anyways, in my experience speaking with John, he'd probably say go for it. Asymmetrics have been customized by customers more than some people think. Many people use Warburton backbores on Asymmetric mouthpieces as an example, and I think I've seen Nick Drozdoff playing a gold plated Lead 342. Nick, could you chime in here and tell me if I'm right or wrong?

3. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    Gold plating MP

Thank you, flugelflyer, for your response. I may just send off my "opera" for an experimental plating. I love these MP's.

Gold Wild thing
    Yamaha 8335GS :D

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

Asymmetrics...

I have a whole set of asymmetrics by Lynch. I have two lead models that I've had adapted for receiving Warburton backbores. I use one of those on my Shiclke P5-4A picc. I used to use the other one for lead work with a big Schmidt backbore. However, since I got my GSC model Chicago Brassworks trumpet, I just use a stock lead model for most of my commercial work.

I also had an Opera model fitted with a Warburton cornet backbore for use in cornet. I even use that one, on occasion, with a little duct tape around the shank on flugelhorn.

I personally prefer the model 3C on my C trumpet, though, if the gig is pretty sedate or needs to be very softly played, I use the Opera model.

I tried to make an asymmetric for my bass trumpet and trombone, but I had mixed results from my model.

I still play conventionals, but rather rarely these days. I have become quite comfortable with the asymmetrics and, for me, the results have been too good to look back.

Now, I've got to go and read the whole thread! I'm not sure I'm even answering a question at all!

:-)

Gotta run!

Peace.

http://www.ampcast.com/NickDrozdoff
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/NickDrozdoff.ASP
    http://nickdrozdoff.blogspot.com

5. ronald wilk

ronald wilk New Friend

Mar 25, 2004
    Florida
    Gold Plating

:D
    Hi:
    I received a note from John Lynch. He notes no anticipated alteration of playing characteristics for a gold plated asymmetric. I have sent two off to Anderson Silver Plating.
    Thank you all for your input.