Gold Plating

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by knf jazz cat, Jan 6, 2004.

1. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    I recently heard that gold plating is detrimental to a horn's sound. Is this true? I do know that it can make a horn more mellow because it's heavier than other finishes.

2. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    I would certainly question your source of that comment.

Consider that the Canadian Brass play gold plated horns, the finish isn't detrimental to their sound??

Plus read this paper by Renold Schilke http://www.dallasmusic.org/schilke/Brass Clinic.html#Finishes

Change the sound, maybe. Detrimental, no!

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Gold plating is NOT detrimental in any way physicaly to the horn, and in my own opinion it is the finish that least affects the sound of a horn that you may have played in its raw state.

It is also a more effective barrier against the acids in your sweat than many other finishes.

But of course the down side is that it is a lot more costly.

Regards

Leigh

4. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    I have most of my horns goldplated due to acidic hands. Yes it does stand up much better than silver. I played my horns (silverplated, and replated several times) before I was told to try goldplate. The difference in look and wear amazing the difference in playing characteristics and tonal quality negligble (sp). My fiancee says that they sound a little more mellow but I honestly can't tell a difference I still sound like me.

5. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    will it last?
    take a beating?
    i had a gold plated mouthpiece once and the gold wore off the shank in a few months.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Gold is quite soft. "Jamming" a mouthpiece shank into a receiver is guaranteed to "grind" the gold plating off. Handling a horn gently, not letting mutes rattle around in the case, etc. and gold plating should last as well as any other finish....longer if you have acidic perspiration or live in a corrosive environment (salt-water coastline, high humidity, etc.).

Since fingerprints, etc. "wipe off" of gold much more easily than they do off of silver or lacquer, there should be a greatly reduced amount of "elbow grease" needed to clean it too!

I'm considering getting my Getzen cornet gold plated as my next major "purchase".

7. BachMan

BachMan Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2003
    It is my understanding that to gold plate a trumpet you first have to have it silver plated so the gold will "stick"

So maybe adding another layer of plating to the brass might make it play a bit different. If anything I would think darker?

Not sure about laquer? I know silver and gold hold up alot better than laquer though.

8. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    Okay, you confirmed what I already thought. Now I have another question. My horn's lacquer is worn and I want to get it stripped off and have the horn refinished. I have pretty acidic hands and want a finish that better protects and looks damn good at the same time ie: gold-plated (possibly satin gold). I want to know of a good place to have it done, and if refinishing will affect the instrument in any way. Thanks

9. Friendly Horn Player

Friendly Horn Player New Friend

Jan 2, 2004
    Oregon
    Eclipse... Eclipse... Eclipse... Eclipse... unless you don't want to send to Europe, except of course if you already live in Europe!

Eclipse would at least be a good starting point.

I have never actually played Eclipse, but you said you wanted the finish to look good. I know for a fact that the finish job looks exceptional, go to their site and see for yourself: www.eclipsetrumpets.com

I hope this helps!

10. knf jazz cat

knf jazz cat New Friend

Dec 16, 2003
    Well, I don't want to be shipping my horn to Europe, too costly and too much time spent, so despite Eclipse's great work, that's out.