Gold Plating....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Feb 29, 2008.

1. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey folks!

I just had some questions and wanted some feed back on gold plating.

Any one ever had a raw horn they gold plated? Did the gold plating change the sound i.e. make it darker/warmer? Correct me if I'm wrong but gold is a heavier metal, therefore it would make it darker, yes? And, did you notice a differance in playing (stuffy upper-register, or no change at all)

Thanks for your time!!:D

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I had a Bach 72 lightweight plated. The recordings of various performances in the same room with the same microphone set up showed that there was practically no difference.
    Of course when you look down the bell of some gold beauty you are convinced that the sound is much more elegant.

As far as the weight of gold goes, the plating is so thin that the entire instrument may be a couple of grams heavier - but then again, after the buffing the horn gets before plating, it just may get back to its original weight.............
    Any differences in sound are more probably due to taking the dents out and polishing, not the plating.
    Proper plating means that the horn gets a thin coat of copper, then silver and then gold.

3. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I had my Bach 43 Sterling bell gold plated because I find that gold is a much more durable finish. My sweat is quite acidic and I wear through lacquer and silver plating quickly. I've had a gold Schilke P5-4 since 1980 and the plating is still perfect except where my thumbs rest on the instrument.