Gold Trim Kit & Valve Caps

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by trpguyy, Feb 22, 2004.

1. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Just out of curiosity, anyone know if either the Bach Gold Trim Kit or Jeweled Valve Caps will fit on a Schilke?
    Also, I know that Schilke sells replacement felts. Are they offered in more than one color? My valve guard is lined with red velvet (or felt or something fuzzy), and that combined with the green felts reminds me of Christmas too much. :-D

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    in the 80's i think schilke used some black felts.... but it was not traditonal and people wanted the green ones...

The bach caps wont fit... Schilke sells heavy caps and curry sells some even heavier ones that will if that is what you are thinking...

If you are just thinking just about the gold trim then you can send them off for plating or just order some in gold. Heck you could go the extra mile and have a full gold trim done (slides and bell washed). Just keep in mind that you vavle caps are numbered becaue they have been lapped and fitted to that vavle, a second set may not line up the same or go on and off as easy...

-marc

3. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    oh yeah - if you find a jewler that can replace the pearl sets then drop us a line... I am sure people with other manufactures have thought about that too.... or if someone has looked into this then drop in a line...

-marc

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    more importanly - I tried tracking down non green felts last year - even tried to find some neoprine ones... no dice... anyone else had any luck?

In the mean time mabye a magic marker will kill your chrismas lights...

LOL,

-marc

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What in the world are you doing with a valve guard on a Schilke!?

LOL. Just kidding.

I took advantage of Schilke's offer last year to replace the factory felts with replacements: it seems that recent production (12-18 months back) had some come out with incorrect thickness resulting in some alignment problems. They sent out a no-charge set; and these were green.

I believe that if you get a PVA you will obviously get a different product for felts...but since I've never done this I can't tell you what the color would be.

6. Creedscraft

Creedscraft New Friend

Dec 13, 2003
    El Reno OK
    Re. your question on pearl sets DrunkIQ, I looked for a long time for someone who could supply me with paua abalone to fit Olds finger buttons. I found David Nichols DBA Custom Pearl Inlay, 177 Low Road, Malone, NY, 518-483-7685. The abalone rounds he sent me were from .505 to .515 in diameter, and about .055 thick, I shaved the tops of the Olds buttons so the abalone stuck up about .010, and buffed them. If you like the flashy look of Paua, the inserts from David are the most beautiful I've ever seen. On top of that, David is one of the best people to deal with that I've ever found. If you want to talk in person about the buttons, just call me at 405-262-5512, or 405-640-9808.

Best regards, John Creed

7. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    If you're speaking of a PVA that's done by Wayne Tanabe at the Brass Bow...there ARE NO FELTS on the upper valve caps when he completes his alignment. He removes them (the original Schilke black or green felts) and puts his own, made of a special material, UNDER the finger buttons...so it ends up looking like the old Benges.

Butch

8. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Yet another reason to hate Bach...

My Bach Gold Trim Kit for my C just came in the mail yesterday. One of the upper valve caps was scratched AND the stripping was screwed up, so it only screws onto the valve halfway. The waterkey is a tad too big, so in order for it to fit between the "posts" that hold it in, those posts have to be bent apart slightly, meaning the the screw can't go through both posts. Oh yeah, my horn also got scratched in the middle of trying to put the waterkey on. OTHER THAN THAT, I'm sure the kit has the potential to make my horn look even prettier.
    I have to wait while the music store sends me a replacement kit, get a full set of "working parts," and take them to a repair shop to get the darn thing working.

I know about Bach's awful quality control, but this is just rediculous.

9. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    My first Bach Strad trim kit arrived with one stem shorter than the other two!! Needless to say I had to send it back to have it replaced!! Very poor quality control by Bach!