Gold wash bell - Will it last?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I was considering having some plating work done which would include a gold finish inside the bell.

However, it has just been brought to my attention that the use of a mute will scratch / wear off the gold plating.

Is this true in all cases? If the plating was properly done by a reputable company, would this still be an issue?

2. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    not doing more work to your 2335? oh dear....

it should't scratch the plateing but might over time wear it away from the corks, but hey how often do you use a mute?

and the plating change might change how the trumpet sounds aswel....

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Gold wash wears off much more easily than normal gold plating. I wouldn't think cork mute pads would doo too much damage in the short run, though. I got that look on a trumpet I used to own by having the silver plating buffed off the inside of the bell flare, the brass polished, and finished with some gold-tinted lacquer. It was very durable, and, no, it didn't change the way the horn played. :cool:

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    This was for the Getzen...mutes used on occasion. It will not change the sound of the horn, but will add a lot of character from an appearance standpoint.
    Oh, what the heck, might as well plate the Yammie too!

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I have seen it done and wasent sure if I liked it to begin with but its grown on me and I think it looks pretty cool now

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, I think it's pretty cool and apparently trumpets from the 40's & 50's had a finish like this, plus as my age advances the "retro" look is more and more interesting.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    My Buescher model 15 was made in 1914. It has a gold wash bell that still looks quite nice.

8. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I know what you mean, ive got space invaders stickers on the roof of my car!

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Dale- so how is a gold wash different from gold plating? I actually never thought about there being a difference, but imagine there must be or there wouldn't be two terms.

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    What a great question, I cant wait to learn the answer....anyone?:dontknow: