Gold wash bell - Will it last?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Gold wash is just a very thin layer of gold plating. Plated over silver or silver plating, it has a lighter gold color to it than normal instrument-thickness gold plating...sort of like a gold-tinted silver finish.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I own a Vega (Chase George) with a gold wash bell and it's in fine shape and it date's to the teens! The silver plating really "appears" thick so maybe the gold is too.

3. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The gold plate would be .0002" thick. Gold is the softest material known to man. A mute would most definitely scratch it up in a hurry.
    John - Anderson Silver Plating

This is the reply sent to me by ASP.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    A singer's head isn't softer? ROFL

5. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    The gold wash in the Holton 48 (1952) is still in great shape, but the gold in the Llewellyn (1930) is fading. The 48 was only used a few years, then stuffed in an attic for half a century. I doubt if using a mute would really wear it much, as long as you're careful. But if you polish it every day it won't last long.

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's all the gold wash that's left on my 1870's Lehnert, so manufacturers started doing it a long time ago. Someone polished most of it off before I became the owner, but you can see the remnant down inside the bell. If I thought I would get the cornet back, I would send it off to have it redone, but I'm afraid it would get "lost" somewhere along the way...:roll:

[​IMG]

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    My early '20s Conn 80A certainly appears to have been played a lot -- I had the valves rebuilt years ago, and the guys at the Brass Bow plugged all the leaks they could...

But the gold wash inside the bell still looks good.

8. optiguytom

optiguytom Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Chattanooga, TN
    I have owned a several '20s and '30s cornets with gold wash bell and see no wear or marks from cork mutes. Not to say it doesn't happen...just my observation. Maybe they did it better in the olden days!

9. hahkeystah

hahkeystah Piano User

Jan 12, 2011
    Charlottesville, VA
    i thought clouds and brand new socks were softer....

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Gold wash is simply a thin gold plate, applied in the identical method as plating, just kept in the solution for a shorter length of time. Less gold used means a different look and less cost as well.