Golden Mark on my trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetytrump, May 31, 2014.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The Bell engraving looks OK to me.
    Here is an example of a copy:
    http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/chinese-fake-strads-74848.html

Maybe more detail, it is just the serial number at the moment, we do need to see more of the horn and case etc. I would try to contact Bach, they are pretty good with poor plating, and I am sure would honour any warranty etc.

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    No bell engraving + non bach 3rd valve stop = not a bach.

3. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It looks real to me, any photos of the case? Can you show us the flip side where the serial number is?

I think it looks real at the moment - just need to understand the Ser, No. as someone said maybe 961000

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Doesn't look real to me. I don't see any bell engraving, and he says he can't find anymore. Bach never used a yamaha style 3rd slide stop as that horn has. Those valve buttons look to be of a cheap aluminum, non bach. The color and nature of that wear spot is very indicative of the poor quality brass and silver plating used on Chinese horns, I have seen wear on bachs and it doesn't look like that. The font looks wrong on the engraving. It is a close copy style wise, but the bell engraving is the real killer. Without it, it doesn't say Bach anywhere on the horn, that is a give away.

5. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Sorry, above post was between the photos. The 3rd valve stop is not Bach, so as stated above it does indicate a copy. The engraving looks like engraving and not a stencil, still my bet would be a copy. Any documents in the case?

6. trumpetytrump

trumpetytrump New Friend

Feb 27, 2014
    Birmingham, England
    I've misplaced all the documents somewhere.. I'll have a look

7. trumpetytrump

trumpetytrump New Friend

Feb 27, 2014
    Birmingham, England
    I've been talking to a friend, and he says he thinks that it was made during the strike at the Bach factory?
    Could that be a possibility or is it definitely fake?

8. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The strike period was still all Bach parts, but assembled by non-normal work-force, so question over quality.

That has nothing to do with the strange things going on with that horn.
    Did it come with any white gloves?

9. trumpetytrump

trumpetytrump New Friend

Feb 27, 2014
    Birmingham, England
    No?
    Not that I'm aware..

10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    If there is no bell engraving, and it doesn't say bach anywhere on it, it is 100% not a bach. I wouldn't even consider it a Fake or a counterfeit since it doesn't say bach on it. After all, a green piece of paper is not counterfeit money unless it has markings on it claiming to be real.