Golden Mark on my trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetytrump, May 31, 2014.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Ok well when I asked for any other engraving and you said you couldn't find any, I assumed there was none. What is the word above "in the USA"? I'm still going with fake...

They also got the first name in the signature wrong,

I've never seen a bach with "made in the USA" on the bell

Every bach I've seen has a location on the bell ie Elkhart IN, Mt. Vernon NY etc...

2. trumpetytrump

trumpetytrump New Friend

Feb 27, 2014
    Birmingham, England
    It says "handcrafted"...

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Edit:

It is a bach. Model 182

I have never seen one of these in person before.

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    BachLoyalist.com - Bach Stradivarius Model 182

According to Kessler music, these use a different serial number list.

I was unaware of this model, and I am pretty up on my bach knowledge (or so I thought). I am also man enough to admit when I was wrong, and I was on this horn. You learn something new every day.

5. trumpetytrump

trumpetytrump New Friend

Feb 27, 2014
    Birmingham, England
    Oh! That's a relief... Thanks so much for your help:)

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    After a bit more research it looks like this was a strike horn. That might account for the poor plating job/prep job which has led to that abnormal wear spot your horn has. You could try contacting bach to see if they will make right on it. I'd be surprised, but it couldn't hurt to try.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Handrafted is not used on a Bach Strad to my knowledge.
    Usually it is :
    Elkhart IN
    USA

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble. One of the better looking fakes. It may be worth taking to a store that sells Bach, and ask the question. Did you buy it from a store or off EBay?

The more I look at the engraving, the more "Less crisp" it looks for the Name Stradivarius. It does sound like bad news at the moment. But if it plays OK for you, don't worry too much except that you maybe got ripped off on the purchase. Do you know what you paid for it?

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Peter,

Look at the bach loyalist link I posted and read my posts....

I was unaware of this model too, but it is real apparently.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have never seen this before, so a good education for me too. Where did you see this Serial Numbers. The serial numbers for the strike period are normally (April 1st 2006: 646013 - 2009) The True Bach came after the strike, and the Model 182 had a different serial number sequence. But the 37's kept running, I believe 700,000 was 2012.

The Strike Period:

"On 1 April 2006, workers at the Bach plant in Elkhart began a strike that lasted three years. Production was interrupted until the company hired replacement workers, and roughly a third of the strikers returned to work.The strike ended when workers voted to dissolve the relationship between the company and the United Auto Workers union. As a result, retired employees lost their pensions.

The 70 strikers who returned to work constituted 30% of the pre-strike workforce, but they constituted 57% of the workforce after the strike, which shrank by 46% to 124. In the post-strike period amidst severe economic crisis, sales were down from pre-strike levels by 31%, but gross profit rose from 20% to 22% of sales revenues. Re-work and quality complaints dropped sharply in the post-strike period. Reductions in employee compensation were credited with returning production of student-line horns (the TR-300) from Asia to Elkhart."

Very interesting to find out more - but that 3rd slide stop also is sus.