Golf and High notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 8, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    No matter how much golfers know the way to better scoring is by keeping the ball in the fairway they insist on nuking the hell out of the ball on the tee box even if the odds of hitting the fairway are slime. A golfer could have a terrible scoring day but if he hits that magical bouncing off of the cart path drive that goes 300 yards he will be ellated ... vaidated
    Trumpet players want to play higher ... even if they can't double tongue there way out of a paperbag or sightread anything better than a syncopated eighth note .. if they can eek out that high F .. done ...validated
    there is a common thread here... somewhere

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In junior high P.E. we got to drive--my best went about 20 yards. I've stuck to mini-golf since, and I am stupid enough that my golfing skills have never cost me a relationship. I have a multitude of ways to offend women. I don't need golf to pull that off.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Rotfl .... did you ever say "Honey, I know the movies starts in 15 minutes, just let me get through this last set of range exercises" ?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    No. I would cuddle next to her and imitate a gunshot at the wrong time and scare the uhhh, stuff out of her. Evil, I know. (Fun though, because she would jump at least a meter away!) Like I said,Evil.

This way, she'd rather you practice than watch a chick flick.Ple1e be advised that my wife doesn't want much (or anything) to with me right now.

Hope you can find a better solution.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    that sucks VB

6. Trumpet-Golfer

Trumpet-Golfer Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2008
    Liverpool, England
    Yes there is some truth in this.
    I got the golf bug when I was 17 yrs old. (I turn 60 next month)
    I got down to 6 by my mid 20’s and on a good day can still knock it around in single figures. (Current handicap 11)
    I was never a long hitter although I could hit it out there when I was (am) on my game and needed to. The key to consistent golf is knowing your game and keeping it in control. This takes lots of practice on all parts of your game in your developing years and then keeping your game in tune. Just like trumpet playing I guess.
    The top golfers can hit it out there, that’s for sure. However they will not win a bean if they are not in control of their game. Just as top musicians must be in control of their musical instruments.
    A perfect drive by a top golfer of 300 yards plus played, with a controlled fade or draw dependant on the particular topography of the hole it is played at, is a joy to watch. Just like a sweet sounding high C, D or E.
    Similarly a beautifully controlled pitch to a couple of feet from the cup is as awe inspiring as a beautiful and delicately played musical phrase.
    As an aside to me personally. I’ve been playing trumpet for just over 5 years and I’ve had more trumpet lessons than I’ve ever had golf lessons! :-( Having said that my best friends who I’ve known since my late teens are also my golfing buddies. We know each others games so well that we can put each other back on track when required. Mind you I never listen to any advice given when I’m ahead in the game and there’s a tenner on the match.[​IMG]

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The secret to being a good golfer is to use the biggest club you can. Don't make the mistake of using one of those "cheater" clubs to hit farther. ;-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My golf skills are evidenced by the Sahara desert. It was a fabulous golf course until I played through.

Now a link to high notes that takes be back to my Big Band days with the Colorado State Statesmen. The Statesmen were hired to perform music gig at a local golf tournament that had Arnold Palmer as a celebrity golfer. Evidently, his team partied heavily the night before that day's round, so Arnie himself commissioned the trumpet section ($50 each) to go into their trailer, surround his manager that was passed out cold, and play the introduction to Maynard's "Theme from Rocky". We did this with Arnie present to enjoy the response; however, the manager DID NOT BUDGE! I declared him dead.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The secret to having fun on the golf course is to forget all about this scoring system. The winner has fewer shots? In golf, hitting the ball is FUN, and for me, less shots means LESS FUN.

While my companions have got themselves into a snit over arbitrary numbers, I'm having a blast ..... I'm seeing a lot more of the countryside than they are. I'm having fun in water, in tall grass, in people's back yards. I'm hitting fairways, roughs, traps, streets, cars and houses (I hit two with one shot once, amazing ..... bounced off the first roof and hit his neighbor. The guy came out and yelled at me. I was like, "You live next to a golf course!").

My point is that ...... uhm ....... what was my point? Oh yeah! The secret of Trumpet playing is not worrying about the score.:-)

Turtle

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    until Meek comes along and plays a high G. Oh, I miss the meeces to pieces.