Golf and High notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Golf is to trumpet as Tiger Woods is to lead players!

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Golf is also a great sport to hone your survival skills. It takes concentration to hit a wide variety of targets (see my post on the previous page) without getting hit by all the little round projectiles flying around. It keeps you on your toes. I hit a tree that was about 15 feet in front of me once and had to hit the dirt when it bounced back at me. It's not easy to lose ground on a golf shot ... I've found many clever ways to do it (you get more shots that way:cool:).

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ...you made a VERY GOOD POINT, and I love you for this man BECAUSE the secret to having fun on the golf course [a metaphor for moving through life's roughs, water hazards, so as to also enjoy beautiful turf and pristine greens] is to forget all... AND that includes the dents on the house! GREAT POST!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dude, I'm a lead player, monogomous (proud of it-have a fabulous mate) AND therefore certainly am NOT a PLAYER so I am not sure this analogy quite works for me.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And again, you get my higest respect for getting the most value out of your green fees.

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks, Gmonady .... it's not often I get recognized for something I do on the golf course (in a positive way).:lol:

I should probably point out that I'm not AIMING at these, what do you want to call them, "non golf-related" things (like cars and houses). It's just that, like a lot of golfers, I don't play much (once every few years) and don't have a lot of control, especially on those long drve shots. Sometimes they slice, sometimes they pull, and once in a while shock all of us by going straight. It's pretty random. I'm not the only golfer like that. And people that build houses on golf courses SHOULD KNOW THAT.:dontknow:

A better way to set up golf, especially for the weekend player IMHO, would be to toss out the scoring system and have each foursome take along a "judge" .... Who would, like on American Idol, give you a rating on the shot, based on artistic merit, difficulty, cleverness, humor, disruption to the environment, etc. Just imagine how much less stressul that would be .... :thumbsup:

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Turtle, I don't play golf, but my side is aching from laughing so hard. Your perspective is great. ROFLROFL:thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, me too......sigh........

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I just knew this was going to be a fun thread .. LMAO

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Okay, I'll admit that once I was aiming at a car with a golf ball .... but it wasn't on a golf course. It was on a driving range and the car was a Volkswagen Bug that had been reinforced to withstand the impact of golf balls and spent its day driving around in a random pattern, pulling a contraption that was picking up golf balls.

Somebody had painted big bullseyes on either side of the Volkswagen and I took it to mean "Open Season." :lol:

Every time you hit the guy's bug, he'd stop and glare at you. It was awesome. I wasted a lot of money a few summers like that when I was a lot younger and now, oddly, I'm terrible at hitting anything that doesn't move and just sits there (like greens and pins).

Turtle

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011