Gone bad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dewie153, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dewie153

dewie153 New Friend

Nov 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I have been playing trumpet for about 4 to 5 years now. Last year i changed my embouchure. It has been great up until now. I have been able to hit a High C without it cracking. A couple days ago I could barely hit a middle C. I don't know what went wrong. Any ideas? thank you

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Not a clue. You need to find a teacher who can look directly at what you are (or aren't) doing. There are a couple of members here who can do that over the internet if you have a decent webcam so they can see how you play.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dewie,
    I personally do not buy this overnight desaster stuff. Unless you were in a car wreck, your body has been talking to you since birth. If we "ignore" that conversation, what can another player or teacher do?

YOU need to look at what has changed in your playing routine, your workplace, your family, your attitude. Then I am 100% sure that the problem will become obvious. The solution often can require outside help - but only with your positive attitude.

I'll give you a different example. This time of year, there are a lot of beggars on the street. They generally ask for money. Some of them have accordions, violins or the like. If I see that they are trying, I'll invite them for a meal. You would be surprised how many turn that offer down. They want cigarettes and alcohol.

With the trumpet, it is similar. We have those that try and those that ask to be spoon fed, those that blog nonsense just to increase their post count. When we offer information to help those that try, it is amazing how many come up with reasons why things don't work. My stand: if they know all of this stuff, why ask in the first place.

So, my suggestion to you is to reflect. Why did you post? Read your post and think - how can anyone help me with no information? Then review your life and playing habits in the last 3 months. What is different?

If you REALLY are doing everything the same as last week, go see a doctor. You could have something that you need to know about.

To go through everything that can go wrong in ones life is not general trumpet, it is General Hospital! Cyberchondria is not a good solution for trumpet players.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Most likely lack of practice, OR over practice. :dontknow::dontknow:

5. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005

That's incredibly insightful. Whenever we play the trumpet we are always on the edge of disaster. When we are in control of our emotions, we seem to have enough control of the instrument to create the illusion that disaster is far off (it never really is). When things are going badly , things usually go badly with the trumpet.

As far as embouchure goes, form should follow function, IMHO.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV

7. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Get a teacher

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ralph,
    I don't consider this insightful (thanks for the complement though). This is basically LIFE 101. This is the lesson that we should see our parents living and what needs to be reminded to us a life long.

Very, very seldom does something happen in our lives as an initial action - everything is intertwined and we have learned to REACT rather than to initiate. Success in life, trumpet, marriage all involves reflection and investment.

If someone is looking for help at TM, they need to reflect on what is the actual situation (with themselves AND with how believable we are) and then invest in a relationship with one or more of us to get feedback that matches.

There is no magic button to push for embouchure, breathing and body use and I really get frustrated with those that have a one liner to solve a problem.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    no one liners that help??? Rowuk has always had me fooled - LOL,

"Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. "

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    One post after 4 years of playing and this is it? Unbelievable!!