Gonna have to start prcticing more

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dBeav, Aug 8, 2013.

1. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    So just a few months into my comeback (30 years) I have been given an invite to sit in with a local jazz/big band group this December. I see many long nights trying to get my arse into gear. Oh and my chops into shape. Wish me luck.

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Good luck!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Luck to you, luck to you my friend. But what you say IS what it takes.

4. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    This kind of opportunity should give you the motivation to work at it more, it certainly did me. The only thing that motivated me more was when I told my wife I was going to try to join Steamboat Swings she said I would not be able to keep up with them. Boy, talk about wanting to prove someone wrong. I have been in the group about 5 years now and my wife actually brags on me now ( definitely more than deserved).

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am guessing the band is based out of Steamboat Springs, right? Is that much of a commute for you when traveling to rehearsals?

6. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I drive about 25 - 30 miles for rehearsals.

We are pretty fortunate to support a band like this in this small of an area but most of the gigs we do are just trying to get more exposure and build up the band bank account. I know there are several of us who just play and don't take any money. The next gig we have is for something you might appreciate, The Doc Willett Awards. Doc Willett was the founding doctor in this area, a true country doctor who I guess took whatever in the form of payment, which I understand in a lot of cases was just a thank you. We have several pro class players in our group, some are music teachers, one even played with GMO for several years and some rank amateurs like me but I think we do have a pretty good sound. Great opportunity and loads of fun!

7. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I was off 19 years. It took me 2 months to feel like I didn't sound like a constipated duck.
    Then after 6 months I felt like I was getting actually stronger... almost as strong as before (range wise)

Now it has been 2+ years and I no longer am concerned with recovering past strength, but rather on developing technical skill and flexibility that I never had.
    So, I am in "undiscovered territory"... My strength is better than 20 years ago, but my endurance is less. I think that is a result of less playing opportunities. 20 years ago (in college) we played 4 days of lab band rehearsals, then lessons every week, then concert bands, marching bands, salsa band gigs, basketball band. We played all the time. As an adult I find it difficult to get enough hard ensemble playing to build some serious road chops. I play lead in a big band one night a week at a local community college. I'd love to pick up another night of playing and maybe start playing in a salsa band, or a cover party band that got me up to 2-5 nights a week of throwing heat.

Since starting in April of 2011 I have never missed a day of practice, and now average about 20 hrs a week of face time practicing at home.

I think with 4 months you can be ready in December, but you gotta be dedicated and hit the horn every day. Long tones, Flexibilities, Scales, Clarke, Arban, and also work on sight reading something every day.

8. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    Great advice. Thanks!