Good Arban's book replacement?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I know there are a lot of method books out there, but i'm just looking for something fresh. I've practiced plenty of Arban's. Any advice on a great overall method book? I suppose I'm just looking for a new book where I can practice tonguing, scales, lip flexibilities, long tones(ish), and, if possible, Clarke-like exercises and also lyrical stuff. I'm not saying ALL of that has to be found in one book, but....

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
  3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Herbert L. Clarke is invaluable. And Claude Gordon can provide some refreshment.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Arban's Method has no 'replacement' that I've ever located. There are supplementary studies that may be helpful. But when the Arban stuff starts to get hard, it is probably a less than optimum move to go looking for another method. Even when glossed up with 'expanding your horizons type' language. :-)

Peter McNeill likes this.
  5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    St. Jacome's method is Arbanesque yet sometimes shows us things from the other side of the ice.

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I have an Allen Vissuttii? I can't spell it, but it is nice with some different ideas

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    What he said.

As a matter of fact, Claude Gordon used it, I believe, before he used Arban's in his (Claude's) method books.

8. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
  9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The term "replacement" might have certain connotations. I suppose there are no "replacements" for books like Arban and Clarke.

But I think there are reasonable alternatives to the Arban Method. For me personally, my primary method was Rubank (intermediate and advanced). Rubank has all of the elements the OP asked about. It's probably easier to follow, with or without a teacher. And unlike Arbans, it stays open on the music stand. :cool:

It's not a replacement for anything. But like other good method books, it's a reasonable alternative.

Mike

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Well it's certainly an argument. Notwithstanding that it describes itself as "Perhaps second only to the Arban Complete Celebrated Method".

And Arban's is free ;-)