Good Arban's book replacement?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Nov 13, 2015.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    I have been getting alot of use from a couple of Rich Willey's books... Scale Force, and the two volumes of Clarke Technical Study #2 Variations.
    I wouldn't call them Arban replacements.. more like extensions.

2. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    In addition to those mentioned these are all good to work on and have a different flavor than Arban

-Peretti: Nuova Scuola d'Insegnamento Vol.1 and Vol 2.

-100 Studi Melodici (Melodic Studies): Reginaldo Caffarelli

-One Hundred Studies for Trumpet - E Sachse

-Charlier: 36 Etudes Transcendantes for Trumpet

3. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    I bought a new edition only because it has binder rings now! revolutionary.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    My Arbans from college eventually fell apart. I also replaced mine with plastic binding. But nowadays, I just use one of public domain versions of Arbans in a PDF file.

Mike

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Since my comeback in 2006, as likewise in college my old pre-owned Arban's that I'd had since 1949 (13 yo) fell apart, I bought a new Platinum Edition of Arban's. That said, the CD that came with it of piano renditions I found to be about worthless. Too, cites of pages by others (you know who you are) do not match my present copy.

My high school band director, Walter H. Cameron, was dubious about Herbert L. Clarke having ever directly compiled a text and believed it to be only to be a paid endorsement promoted by a publisher. In his biography, it is said that Sousa recognized Clarke's talent, but personally disliked him. Too, Sousa so disliked recordings that he came to dislike Clarke who directed a major segment of the Sousa Band in the making of recordings.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Agreed. It's strength is that it is a progressive method, where the exercises get more and more challenging, little by little, and the exercises are varied and balanced. It's an excellent choice for anyone who doesn't know how to use the Arban book and/or is primarily teaching one's self, since Arban skips around so much, Perhaps another good one that's similar in organization is Harold "Pappy" Mitchell's, "MITCHELL on TRUMPET" series.

My only criticism, and it's dependent on the student, is that many of the "tunes" are dated and might not hold as much interest as those in some of the more contemporary books out.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    When I was making slow and difficult progress learning to play trombone, I picked up a set of Rubanks on eBay. Made all the difference in the world.

8. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Mitchell on Trumpet.

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    (never mind)

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This thread has an interesting flow!

My take is that the Arban is a conservatory method designed for use by teachers that know better. When a student claims to want to move on, need fresh, I ask: why? What is your current practice plan, have you charted progress over the last couple of years? Where are your playing strengths, weaknesses. What is missing to improve the weaknesses, what is there to maintain the strengths?

The original post to me sound like one of my colleagues looking for a new car, boat, golf clubs, husband, wife.......

I do not propose that our trumpeting be monogomous, rather I insist that a process leads to satisfaction, not a pile of books. Because my focus is on ME, I look for ways to improve, not spend money. I have a library full of books that I seldom use simply because my perception of variety is in my process, not in the black dots on the page.

Arban and Clarke are the mainstays of my practice and teaching. I do not augment with other methods, rather with etudes and repertory pointed at the goals maintain and improve. I use my St. JacĂ´me for the great duets, not so much the velocity and pattern studies.

Summary: if Arban and Clarke are boring, we need to work on our head not buy more music. If we want to intensify a certain aspect of our playing, we define this and then add it on top of our existing routine.

I use the Irons lip flexibilities, Kopprasch, Bitsch, Brandt, Sachse etudes and the Aebersold method regularly. Not to freshen up, rather with a specific goal.