Good Arban's book replacement?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Nov 13, 2015.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yes, one can have something similar to "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" with books and materials. But getting alternatives to a few established classics is not evil, either. ;-)

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    write you own book ---- and put in all the exercises that YOU AREN'T capable of currently playing --- then practice in such a way, that you can eventually complete playing your own book ------- this will be better than anyone else's book

3. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    And which book could you recommend for self-learning? I am a returning adult player after a long break. Playing just for fun. But it does imply reasonable amount of practicing, just less than a professionals do. I am looking for book with a structure similar to a computer game which goes on level by level. Don't see the way how Arban can be useful for me

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Den2042, check out Mitchell on trumpet--you might want to start on book two, but it is progressive and covers all the elements needed to play. Some of the tunes are cheesy but not easy.

5. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Agree. Mitchell on Trumpet. I came back after many years off, and fell right back into my old Mitchell books. Boring at times, but systematic and progressive. It covers range, stamina, intervals, all of the usual suspects. I try to do 2 practice sessions per day, one on Mitchell, and one playing musically or practicing for performance. I'll never make it to Carnegie Hall, but I play well enough to enjoy it and get compliments from the audience.

6. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    Thank you guys for advises. So, on my short list I have
    Mitchell 2nd and 3rd books,
    Vizzutti Method
    O'Neill The Jazz method for trumpet

Probably I'll get myself all three. The are some things I like in each of them. What of these would you recommend as a basis for returning player practice? The aim is play for fun, but good fun is the better )

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Dave Hickman wrote a book of 100 exercises for new and returning players. Sorry I don't have the exact title but I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

Tom

8. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    Looks great. Thank you. Think I'm gonna buy this book
    100 Progressive Lessons for Trumpet for the Beginning or Comeback Player by David Hickman
    The ideal book for trumpeters during their first three years of development! Lessons progress at a reasonable rate and are two pages in length. Each lesson includes two contrasting etudes, a famous melody, a technical study, and two “factoids” that contain valuable information about music and the trumpet

9. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

10. den2042

den2042 Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2015
    Belgium
    Thank you. Description of 'The Advancing Trumpet Player' looks interesting also. Link to Arban's exercises is especially appealing.