Good beginner books for grownups who want to start to play.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Leonin, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    Good beginner books for adults who want to start to play.

Hello.
    I used to play trumpet when I was younger (age 6-13) but then came highschool and all the stuff that comes with it so I stopped playing. I really regret that now. Anyway, I decided to start playing again, but I have forgotten almost everything (its been 13 years ago since I last touched a trumpet :-)) and feel that I have to start from "scratch". The problem that I've found is that all the beginner student books are targeted to little children who doesn't know that much about music theory, which makes the practice sessions somewhat uninspiring. And the tunes in them have lost their charm. Sure old McDonald sure is still fun to play. :D
    I have played bass for 16 years now and I have studied music theory on the university so I really don't think I need to go through all the clefs and how to write a quarter note once more:cool:.

So, what I try to ask is if anyone of you here on these boards know about any good beginner book for adults who have played another instrument for awhile.

Thank you and sorry for my evil destruction of the english language :p

/Leonin

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    How about the Allen Vizzutti books? Take a look at those.
    You might want to look over David Hickman's web site. He has books on improving certain aspects of your playing.

Search on:
    David Hickman Summit Brass

3. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    Ah that might be what im looking for. The Hickman books looks really good. Especially the "Trumpet Pedagogy: A Compendium of Modern Teaching Techniques looks interesting. Although I have no idea at what level it starts at. Maybe someone on these boards have it?
    Thank you for your quick answer Stchasking.

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
  5. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
  6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    Clarke Elementary studies I think would be good for adults. It moves quickly, though it does have a lot of exercises and very few tunes. Yes it does cover a lot of the rudiments of music but that can easily be ignored for the exercises.

7. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    Looks like its out of print. Atleast on amazon.

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
  9. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    That was an amazing page you gave me there ROGERIO.
    Thank you. :-)

10. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    While I'm at it I might as well ask, which Arban should I buy? I guess its Complete Conservatory Method but I can be wrong. There are tons of them. :D