Good beginner books for grownups who want to start to play.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Leonin, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    You want the Complete Conservatory Method. It's a must for any trumpeter. It's been called the trumpet players bible. Good luck and welcome back to the fold.

2. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    Do I need the manual (::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Publications ::: ARBAN MANUAL) aswell? Or are there lessons in Complete Conservatory Method?

3. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    The manual will definitly help you know how to attack the book. There is alot in there. :)

4. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    I might aswell order it then. I really hope it wont be to expensive to import it to sweden. :-)

Oh and thank you Stile442

/Leonin

5. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I picked up trombone last year and had used the beginning band book Essential Elements 2000 and Eric Bolvin's Big Student Songbook. While they are basic books geared and for young people in school they cover all the basics to get started. This might be good preparation for some of the more advanced books mentioned earlier. Don't worry.....these books don't have cute pictures or stickers. They're a good place to start out. Good luck.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you can get them, the Harold Mitchell Method for Trumpet books would be ideal. Number one is a bit too fast for young beginners, but if you finish book four, you'll be a monster player.
    Good luck, and have fun with the trumpet!

7. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Walter Beeler's books are great, starting from a beginning level but not dumbing anything down. Good mix of lyrical and technical stuff. Essential to get a teacher to help you sort everything out.

Michael McLaughlin

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    The trumpet Pedagogy book is the trumpet bible of teaching. I own one.
    It has everything in it that this web site covers. It does not have exercises. It has how to information and illustrations or a short exercise to show the teaching point. It should be on every trumpet players coffee table. I love that book.

Jim

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I live in the same town as Hickey's and have been buying music, instruments, and accessories there since the age of 8 (52 years). It is a wonderful institution and their online store is great. They specialize in sheet music, but also have many instruments which you won't find on their site - so calling them is worth it if you are shopping for a new horn and might be able to get to Ithaca in upstate NY. I bought my strad there during the strike - they had 8 in stock. Their price was the same as you'd find at any of the major web retailers. (They did not pay me to say this!)

And there a several books by Bill Pfund which are oriented more towards adults.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  10. Leonin

Leonin New Friend

Aug 9, 2007
    Thank you everyone for all your great suggestions. Looks like I have to eat soup and dry bread for the rest of the month, but hey its worth it!

/Leonin