Good book for learning the treble clef

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jorto131, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Jorto131

Jorto131 New Friend

May 19, 2011
    Hi guys, I am getting ready to go into highschool and I just started playing the trumpet seriously a while ago and I wanted to know if there was a really good practice book that could help me learn the treble clef.
    thanks for the help, Joe.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Hymnbook.

700+ tunes that are easy to read, in a multitude of keys and in 4 part harmony of which two are treble clef.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    What exactly do you mean by "the trebel clef?" Do you just want to know where the notes fall on the staff, or are you looking to learn how to be comfortable reading?

If it's the latter, I like Rowuk's suggestion of the hymn book. If it's the former, any comprehensive method such as the Arban's book (and it's not a bad idea for anyone trying to learn to play trumpet to have one of those) would be a good way to go.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    :lol::thumbsup::thumbsup:

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    While using a hymnbook keep in mind that such is set for C instrumentation and not a Bb trumpet, though if you are playing alone it won't make much difference to play direct as you see it. However, if you are being accompanied by a piano or organ or even a vocalist, you must transpose to your own proper position in Bb instrumentation as is two semi-tones (half steps) higher with 2 sharps added to key signature. Sharps will negate flats in key signature one for one.

I also highly recommend beginning with Arban's for high school students.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011