Good Book for Orchestral Repertoire?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by Annie, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Manny,

Are there any good, comprehensive books out there with good selections from orchestral works?

Thanks!

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Much to my surprise, the International Music Co. is offering all 10 volumes of their orchestral excerpts series. I had heard they had been pulled off the market. These are the books that got me started with orchestral playing.

Wilmer

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Annie,

Since I assume you're familiar with the standard books that Wilmer referred to, are you asking for books that are more complete or are you looking for books that include complete parts?

The International volumes are classics and you should collect them just because there's material that is a great source for informal ensemble playing and study.

I like the Neuhaus books very much. They are German and have also become an important part of every good players library.

There are some good Engish collections and maybe some of our Brits will chime in with the more comprehensive ones. Jack? Mike?

Annie, I have always enjoyed your quote at the bottom of your posts.

ML

4. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I don't know about the other Brits, but my teachers always got me to learn excerpts from the afore mentioned IMC orchestral excerpt books and from the Edition Peters Orchester Probespiel (Test pieces for orchestral Edition), which is a gold covered 92 page book.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes, Adrian!

Thanks for reminding me. I found that book last time I went on tour to the UK and agree with you. It's a good addition to the others I mentioned. Apparently it comes with a CD that you can buy separately to play along.

ML

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

I started collecting the volumes..

Orchestral Excerpts from the Symphonic Repertoire for Trumpet, compiled by Gabriel Bartold.

I bought each volume based on the works I had to play at that time. I have 3 volumes of the 10. Some day, I'll complete the set.. when I can play all from the 3 volumes I own :)

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    Phil Collins has a very nice book with all of the major excerpts you most often see at auditions. I'm not sure where you can purchase it. Maybe a google search would turn up something.

8. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Awesome replies! Thank you!

I'm actually quite new to the orchestral works, I am not familiar with anything. I'm just looking for a book that gives a good taste of the variety an orchestral trumpeter would play. In essence, I'd say more a book that is complete, rather than a book with complete parts.