Good Drill/Excercise Books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yochillum, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Yochillum

Yochillum New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    As I mentioned in another post, I am currently embarking on the comeback trail after about a 10 year hiatus. I remember during my first go round that my instructor had me use two books. One was a clarke book (White with Red lettering I believe) and I think the other one was called Darbans (sic). I just wondered if anyone wanted to weigh in on books that would be good for drilling, or rebuilding an admittedly soft embouchure. All advice/commentary is welcome.

2. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    Clarke Technical Studies
    Arbans
    Charles Colin: Advanced Trumpet Lip Flexibilities

Are the ones I use the most, there are many other excellant books on the market, however if possible I would search for a TRUMPET teacher, It makes a world of difference.

Have Fun !! :play::play:

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Two more I would not do without:

Earl D. Irons, Twenty-Seven Groups of Exercises
    Max Schlossberg Daily Drills and Technical Studies for Trumpet

4. Yochillum

Yochillum New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Ah, that's right... Schlossberg was another one I used to own. While I appreciate the advice on a teacher, and it is definitely an advisable option. I am fairly confident in my ability to re-teach myself to a certain extent anyway. I played for 15 years, played at the North Sea Jazz festival and enjoyed private mentoring and shared the stage with Bobby Shew, Maynard Ferguson, Claudio Roditi and a few more. Just like anything, it's key to have a strong instructor, but right out of the gate, I'm hoping to lead myself along- at least to the point where I'm back in fighting shape so to speak.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Best of luck with your comeback. Comebacks are not usually a DIY process, maybe you can.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hmmm, shared the stage with those greats and didn't know the Arbans book. That kind of raises a BIG question mark in my mind.

In any case, it isn't the book that you use. A conventional hymnbook can be enough to get back in shape. The decent method books generally help most when the explanation of how and why are included by a real teacher. DIY needs luck that the player has the discipline, is in tune with their body and has the ears to tell them what sounds good. Players with previous experience have an advantage with the ear part.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I shared the stage with Dame Joan Sutherland. I swept the floor and she sang a bit. Geez I was good though.;-)

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I find it interesting that you were playing at that level, but can't remember the method books you worked from. The Arban's is frequently referred to as "The Trumpet Bible" and for good reason. I've only had a smattering of private instruction over the years, but I've owned my Arban's book (actually used it before I owned it - it was passed to me from my sister) since early high school, and any teacher I have ever worked with, even though it was always on a limited basis, has used that as a source of practice material.

The other books listed - Clarke, Schlossberg, Irons, Colin, Herring, etc - those are all standard methods that just about everyone who has played trumpet even semi-seriously has had some contact with as well.

I'm just surprised that you say that you played well enough to share the stage with some greats, but can't remember what method books you used to get there.

9. Yochillum

Yochillum New Friend

Jun 26, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    I need to clarify. I was worried when I made my last post that I came off as some giant fabricating tool, and that was not at all my intention. I was by no means a soloist or individual performer when playing with these individuals. I was merely a beneficiary of a first rate music program. As a member of the Peoria Jazz AllStars, we traveled to the Montreaux and North Sea festivals in 1996. I was fortunate to have clinics with Bobby and Claudio, but our ensemble was asked merely to play as backing band to Maynard. Again, I didn't mean to indicate that I was a soloing professional, merely the member of a band that was blessed with some amazing experiences. I received private instruction for approximately 12 years, and that is merely why I am somewhat confident in my ability to at least start my comeback. I definitely did not intend to minimize the suggestion provided, as I said, I believe private instruction is invaluable to players at all stages. Thanks again to all for their input.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Fair enough - I did a lot of playing in my first years up through high school where the main method I used was the Arban's. I wasn't introduced to those others until after I started at the Armed Forces School of Music. They've been in my practice room since then though.