Good gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Aug 24, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I subbed last night with a band that played music from the twenties.

I loved it. The music was extremely hard for me and I was playing first so I had to work pretty hard. The charts were all original and very fast with complicated rhythms everywhere. It kind of seemed like nothing was standard yet and there was a lot of bouncing around with repeats and key changes that come at you constantly.
    Kind of like playing a show with cuts but this was all in the music.

It was very hard to just sit in but I had a lot of fun and they seemed to be happy with me.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I used to play in a band that played "Society Music" from the teens and 20's. It was a lot of fun, and the music is really different from anything I'd ever played before. Instrumentation was different, too. A couple of trumpets, a couple of clarinets, a violin or two, a tuba, a trombone, a sax, a flute, small trap set, and I don't remember what else. I used a 1926 Conn 22B with a Bb/A rotary valve slide for that "period" sound (some of the stuff was in "A"!).

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    We had 3 sax or clarinet depending on the part. There were times where the 3 of them were playing soprano sax. Two cornets, one bone, tuba, banjo small trap set and a conductor.

I played a Bach Shepard (sp?) crook cornet.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    There is a great band In Ann Arbor,

Phil Oglivie's Rhythm Kings--P.O.R.K.

It is run by James Depogny, long time professor of music at University of Michigan.

A great band that plays addictive and difficult dance music from the 20's.

http://www.porkjazz.com/

-cw-