Good Intermediate Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PierceG, Apr 11, 2009.

1. PierceG

PierceG New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Hey guys,
    I'm in serious need of a new trumpet, and I think something in the intermediate range would suit me best.

I'm not too particular about what it is. It just needs to be a decent all-around horn that will last me a long time. I'm also on a pretty tight budget ($1,000 would really be pushing it).

The one that's stood out the most to me based simply off online reviews and specs is the YTR-4335G. But obviously I'm not committed to this, and I'd like to hear your suggestions on reasonably priced horns.

Thanks,
    Pierce

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Try buying used!
    you can get plenty of pro-level horns for under $1000

Yammaha 6335 can generally found for even cheaper, bach strads generally run around that

3. PierceG

PierceG New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Well, I'm not sure if I want a pro-level horn. If I buy one, is there a legitimate concern that I'll have trouble playing it? I'm playing probably at a low college level right now.

4. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    [email protected]
    try this site. If the price is too high, then wait a couple days, it usually changes instruments and prices. Hope this helped.

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Unless you get a particularly extreme horn in terms of weight or bore, no

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Most college players use pro quality horns. I don't know about that specific Yamaha, but some intermediate horns are basically student horns with moveable first and third slides and plated to look like a pro horn. For $1000, you can find something much better used, in my opinion.

7. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello PierceG. Muscian Friend internet site are selling Kanstul made Besson International Trumpets for $439.99 with free shipping and 45 day return policy. The MRSP price was $1700.00. If they have The K are USA made on Bell or Valve casing they are Kanstul made. I bought a used but like new one off e-bay awhile back and paid this much. They are the best intermediate to pro grade horn on the market right now. The Kanstul 709 intermediate trumpet is even cheaper and the buyers like them. The Kanstul 800 is a upgrade with heaver m.p. reciever,heaver caps, and one piece hand hammered bell or one piece hand spun bell. If I was not buying guns right now,I would jump on that deal. Check also Woodwind& Brasswind. They run deals back and forth between the two. Good luck.

8. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    The Yamaha 4335 was on my shortlist along with the Stomvi Forte and Kanstul 700 when I bought a new horn about a year ago. Used pro horns are very hard to find in Australia so wasn't an option.
    I chose the Stomvi as it just played better and easier for me.

9. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    I play on a King 601 which I bought for $400
    But if you have a grand I'd look for a strad or even a used xeno
    there are some olds on ebay too

10. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City

What he said.

I have one and it's a very good trumpet. Actually pro level.