Good Intermediate Horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PierceG, Apr 11, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Pierce,
    when you ask the world, you will get very diversified answers. I'll try and put them into perspective:
    a student horn (and in most cases the "intermediate" version) are built to be durable, easy to play and in tune. The durable comes at the cost of sound quality and projection.
    Pro horns are built with sound quality first, then intonation and easy to play. Many of them have all three of these in more than ample quantity!

A used horn only makes sense if it is in good shape and plays well. This means that you buy from a reputable source, or play before you pay.

The Yamaha that you mention is a solid horn that will last for a long time. The Yamaha 6xxx is a pro horn that is easy to play and if in good condition will knock your socks off! It is easily better for anyone that is mature enough to take proper care of it.

A used Bach is 100% play before you pay. Mine rotted out from under me inside of 6 years. A new leadpipe and tuning slide were necessary. 6 years later, the next set as well as a valve job. I played this horn a lot. As far as the Kanstul for <$500, I am not sure. I think the Yamaha 4xxx is a safer bet!

The bottom line is that NONE of us can take the decision away from you. I do suggest considering a used pro horn. You should play before you pay AND take a second set of ears that you trust (like a teacher) and compare that Yamaha to the pro horns. I am 100% sure in a blind test, many of the internet "experts" could not back up their posts.

Good luck!

2. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    The best and most widely used intermediate horns are the getzen eterna series, you can also try jupiter pro line horns because even though they are priced for proffesional horns they play like student or intermediate horns :)

3. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I second the Getzen 700 Eterna. I've had mine for almost 20 years and while I don't play it much anymore, I've always been happy with the sound below high C (above it gets a little tinny for me). Used it on a nationally syndicated jingle package. Best valves around.

A few hundred more and you'll be buying a Yamaha pro trumpet. The Bergeron and the Shew are two you should look into, both well under 2K new and around 1K used.

Ed
    MySpace.com - Ed Mann - 52 - Male - LA, California - www.myspace.com/jazzlips

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Pierce,
    Cost is a major determining factor when purchasing something. However, buy in haste, suffer at leasure. If I were you I'd see about a pro horn.
    Think about it, how long will you have the mid level horn before you start saying to yourself, "This mid level horn is good but I just wonder if its holding me back?"
    I'm guessing three to four years.
    Then, once you've committed to the idea that the mid level horn is holding you back, you'll then have to deal with saving up the money to buy a pro horn and you probably will not recoup the cash spent on the first horn if you resell it.
    See what clever (interest free)payment plans you can find and go for the pro horn.
    See giardinelli, musician friend, goodys ect.
    This way you can never say to yourself, "Gosh, I wonder if this mid level horn is holding me back?"

5. PierceG

PierceG New Friend

Apr 10, 2009
    Ok, so I've gotten the impression I should just go for a pro-level horn that isn't too extreme. I think I'm going to avoid the Strad, because it seems that they're sort of finicky, but I'll start looking for some used Yamaha 6xxx's and Getzen Eternas for a start.

Thanks a lot.

6. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    You can get a used pro horn for that $1000. That's your best bet :cool:

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    you wont have any trouble playing a pro horn. i am a freshman i played for six years and i havent had any trouble playing my pro horn or any others i have played

as for the cheap intermediate horn my friend got a rather new strad for 500, although its laquered i think it plays fairly well, its not as good as mine but thats a personal opinion
    good luck in your hunt

8. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    A good pro horn used is the best bet. Pro horns are actually easier to play than beginner horns. My son started out on a Bach Strad 37 that we paid $600 for. Less than the cost of a new beginner horn.

Intermediate horns are a waste of money.