Good month

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by timothypierson, Mar 23, 2007.

1. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    It's been a good month for me. I auditioned and have been accepted to the University of Oregon School of music. Apparently over 25 auditioned and only 7 undergrad and 3 grad students were selected. I made Mup 286 (the highest level the school will give transfer students). I'm looking forward to study with Brian Mc Whorter, he's a great trumpet player and person. This month I got hired to play in the local musical "Man of La Mancha". I also got hired to play the Torelli Sinfonia (G8) for easter sunday.

It's been a fun 3 years back on the trumpet (3 years in June). I hope I'm not sounding like I'm bragging. I still have much to learn (a lot to learn). I feel lucky to get to play and it's been a lot of work. I'm also performing the Debutante' with the Lane Symphonic band in May. I hope everyone in the forum are enjoying themselves too. I still have plenty of frustrating days but I try to remember the joy of making music.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Tim,

Doesn't sound like bragging to me. Sounds like you're thankful.

WTG and Good Luck!!

Richard Oliver

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Timothy,
    great news. Let us know how you deal with BAD MONTHS. How do you keep motivated, what do you play - how much do you know about Torelli and G8 in particular?

4. timothypierson

Feb 20, 2005
    I've noticed when I'm having bad playing days, it's usually caused from either overplaying or I get a canker sore in a really bad spot. When it's from overplaying I find a couple of days I don't have to play and take a day off. The second day I do a lot of long tones, Clarke studies 1 and 2 and some Stamp. That usually fixes the problem for a month or so. If its a bad canker sore thats really close to the red on my top lip, I take a couple of days off (if possible), take some asprin, lysine, multi vitamins, and Acedalphelus. Anywhere else on my lip doesn't greatly affect my playing.

As far as Torelli, I know he wrote many of his sonatas for church services and was a fine Violinists of his day. I don't know a lot about the G8 in particular but have been listening to Torelli sonatas performed by Niklas Ecklund to get an idea of the sound that I should produce. I'm also going to perform other pieces with the church choir (not sure what the are), and the Hallelujua chorus. The choir is small so I have to be careful not to overpower them.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bravo! Niklas is an excellent start (my absolute favorite for baroque)! The Maurice André recordings are also a must. Just be aware that MA does not play baroque or classical - he invented and used his own style (or ignored all of the research by musicologists) regardless what he played. His sound and phrasing ability are unique and definitely worth using for "inspiration")!
    I used to get canker sores on a regular basis and someone suggested having the rim of my mouthpiece gold plated (I was playing a Schilke 18 and a Bach 10 1/2 back then). I did and the problem went away completely. I have been playing on gold mouthpieces ever since and haven't had a sore in 30 years.

6. timothypierson

Feb 20, 2005
    I also listen to Maurice Andre, but to get a historical perspective I listen to Niklas Eklund, Ed Tarr, and Crispian Steele-Perkins. I also went to a masterclass with Gil Kline, a west coast baroque trumpet player. I played the Purcell Sonata and was given some great ideas on ornamentation and approach to playing.

My trumpet teacher is simply amazing on piccolo. The other day he played the 3rd movement of the Brandenberg cold, had not played a not that day. He sounded great. While it's not natural trumpet it was an amazing feat worth mentioning.