Good mouthpiece exercises

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 17, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    okay my band director is sending in my old aristocrat to get fixed and i currently have just a mouthpiece. its pretty depressing going from a trumpet to this little mouthpiece. during band i use his TR300, but at home i just have my mouthpiece. this is probably going to be the situation for at least a week. does anybody have any good exercises i can use that could improve my playing. with my horn i am pretty accomplished and i can scream pretty high, but i was hoping maybe with a mouthpiece i can not only improve my lower note tone, which isnt superior compared to how it could be and strengthen my embouchere.
    does anybody here at trumpetmaster know of anyway i can do this with only a mouthpiece?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  3. GoodMusic@PA

[email protected] Piano User

Aug 7, 2008
    If you can't get the books and since you only have to do this for a week. Just get your mouthpiece- remember the most important thing about using just your mouthpiece, don't push too hard!!!. Just start low and slur high and keep doing that starting at different notes(e.g. start at c, then d the e etc.) then do the same going down.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Play all of the same things that you did with the trumpet - just softly. There is no reason to start anything new or unknown. The mouthpiece does not have to be a limitation if we are only talking about a week or 2. Maybe you have a free period in between where your teachers horn is available too. Show initiative, that is good for you and will show your teacher how much you care!!!!

5. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Thanks for the Stamp! I'm going to try these...also found a really good explanation (especially page 3) here:
    www.[B]trumpetguild.org[/B]/journal/d96/9612Mcgr.pdf

Have fun,
    Andrew

6. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    All of the above are great suggestions. I would add that just playing simple melodies on the mouthpiece would be helpful, particularly since you'll have your horn in a week.. Personally, I play about ten minutes daily on the mouthpiece alone. Its the first thing I do each day.
    Roy Griffin