Good or bad? Storing trumpet in trunk of car?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tiny2000, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    There are people who pay to have their horns dipped in liquid nitrogen. The trunk of my car during a central New York winter is considerably warmer!

2. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    3. Never open a cold case in a hot room, and vice versa.

If you do encounter extremes in temperature and humidity, leave the instrument in its case so that it can slowly acclimate to the change. Opening a case in a heated room after it's spent a few hours in the unheated trunk of a car could have the same effect on lacquer as pouring boiling water into a cold glass. It will crack right before your eyes. the proper acclimation time depends on the severity of the change. When you decide to remove the instrument, gently crack the case open for a time to allow for a gradual change in temperature. "

A text from care of nitrocellulose lacquer. Author unknown

3. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009

4. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    When traveling with my horns in the winter where temps of -30 - -40C are common, I set my horns in the passanger footwell. Somedays I have to take my horns with me to work because I do not have enough time to go home before Orchestra practice. I always take them in to my office for the day. I'm not a big fan of leaving any intrument in my truck when it is cold.

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    As for combating the cold valve issue use a synthetic like Htmans or Ultra Pure etc.....THis will take care of the frozen valves at most they would be slightly stiff until warmed up. I use synthetic in my manual transmission for the same reason. The non-synthetic can get super stiff in the winter time much tiffers then motor oil because we are talking something that is 80W90 not 5W20 or 5W30 like most cars in the USA use. THe switch to synthetic has my transmission shifting as smooth at -28°F as it does on a 80°F Summer day. So if extreme cold is an issue that is how i would combat it if I had theneed to take a cold trumpet out of my car and be ready to play quickly!

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    What someone else said, let it warm up (or cool down) to room temp, or fairly close and you'll be fine. Don't force the valves to move if the y don't want to!

Your trumpet will encounter more abuse being shipped to to a dealer, being "tried out" by window shoppers, etc. than you could ever inflict on it just be having it in a cold or hot trunk.

7. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Come on Wlfgng, now you're making me do Celcius to Farenheit calculations in my head! I do know there's one place where they agree, -40!!!

Brrrrrrrrrrr

ROFL

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I wouldn't even go outside if it was -40c. The worst I've seen is -28c.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you think low temps won't effect your instrument consider this - aero engines are restricted in their operation at temperatures below -30degC. If the engine is shutdown in these low temps there are very specific warm-up protocols before the thrust levers are advanced. The lowest acceptable engine oil temp (depending on the oil) prior to starting is -40deg C and the engine has to reach -10degC before any real power can be extracted. So, a quality close tolerance machine limited by low (and high) temps means that my trumpet never stays were it will get cold or hot. Your choice. :cool:

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ted, interesting post but the major difference between the aero engine and the trumpet is: the difference in temperature of the parts of the instrument during playing are just a couple of degrees - not hundreds AND the valves in a trumpet are moving infinitely slower than the pistons in a plane. The engine block is cast aluminum or iron and potentially sensitive to rapid changes in temperature. Trumpet valves are made from extruded tubing which is stable over a wide range of temperature changes.

Nobody would put a -28 degree trumpet up to their face, they blow warm air through it and it warms up fairly evenly. No chance of scoring valves or cracking the casing.