Good Professional Orchestras to Listen to

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by John Heckathorn, Oct 31, 2005.

1. John Heckathorn

John Heckathorn New Friend

Jun 9, 2005
    Hi. I'm a Senior in high school, and I'm looking for some new orchestra music to listen to. I have found that before I play any performance, whether it be with a concert band, pit orchestra, or full orchestra that listening to professional orchestas with amazing trumpet sound helps me have the sound I want in my head. As a result, I imagine myself playing as freely, as effortlessly, and as beautifully as them and it helps me attain a more focused, and confident sound. I don't know if this is just psychological, or is really helping me progress on the trumpet, but I know it feels good. I just want some more brilliant trumpet sounding orchestra music to listen to, and apply to my technique, and approach to the trumpet. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Currently I have been listening to the London Symphony Orchestra's Star Wars music which I love. Maurice Murphy, principal trumpet of the LSO has an amazing sound that I try to emmulate, but I doubt I'll ever sound that good. Anyways, any comments on the subject would be cool. Especially from the esteemed Mr. Laureno, a player with a sound I wouldn't mind having..........amazing.

Thanks for helping kids like me who are just entering the real world of trumpet performance and technique.

-John

2. Iamtrpt

Iamtrpt New Friend

May 16, 2005
    I know it's more addressed to Mr. Laureano, but I thought I might throw a word in. Well lately, I've been listening to tons of Mahler, and all the standard stuff you'd have to know for orchestra ya know? Well anyways I've become fond of this recording with Claudio Abbado and the Berlin Phil, him conducting Mahler 5.

Just a thought... :dontknow:

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'll tell you the truth: I don't believe in a force-fed diet of music. I like people at your stage of the game to merely listen to the music that they enjoy and it sounds as though you're doing that. You already know a lot more of the heavy-duty repertoire than I did when I was your age.

I think you should hear good quality soloists and good quality jazz, good quality rock and roll. The point is that it needs to be good quality, no matter what it is, not second rate material. Enjoy what you hear and hear what you enjoy. There'll be plenty of time later to hear all the newer things that you're not quite ready for yet.

ML

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I've learned the difference between enjoying and appreciating lately. I always thought to myself Mozart's music is brilliant; I should love it. When I was younger I didn't like Beethoven, Mozart, Brahms, or some other composers b/c I was drawn to the color of Ravel and Debussy and the power of Mahler and Wagner. I now LOVE Beethoven and Brahms, but still don't listen to Mozart unless I have to. Find which composers you love and which you appreciate for their genious but would rather not listen to. I'm sorry for all of those Mozart-lovers here. Just my humble self talking.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Listen to as many as you can, then make your own mind up.

My personal favourite orchestras include:
    LSO
    Vienna Philharmonic
    Liverpool Philharmonic
    City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    NY Philharmonic
    The King's Consort
    The Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment

Try everything once (except incest and morris dancing ;-) ) and then see what you enjoy

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    If you want to listen to great music there are many professional orchestras out there (both in the US and outside of it) all of whom employ players of the highest standard available. You will surely no be disapointed if you buy a CD recorded by a full time professional orchestra.

For a list of (in one mans opinion) the top orchestras to listen out for you could do worse than to start with:

Any of the USAs "Big Five" (particularly Chicago and New York)
    Any British orchestra (we are the best in the world, you know! :bleah: ) (particularly The Hallé Orchestra and the LSO)
    Der (Die/Das?) Berlin Philharmoniker
    Opera orchestras (particularly La Scala (Milan) and the Orchestra of the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden, London)

That's plenty for the time being, but really there's no need to limit yourself to the very best. Like I said, most professional orchestras are comprised of excellent players and one can frequently find inexpensive (often vinyl) recordings of major works by the likes of the Hamburg Radio Symphony Orchestra which are a real treat to listen to.

Incidentally, speaking of older recordings; it's great to get several recordings of the same work from different decades/orchestras/conductors and listen for the differences to figure out your own preference in playing style. Some works are more easily available for example, I currently have at least five vinyl recordings of Beethoven's fifth symphony. And I have two box sets of the complete Beethoven symphonies (Royal Philharmonic/Leibowitz and the Hallé Orchestra/Loughran).

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, there you have it: a cross section of the orchestras that people like. I'll end by reiterating or perhaps just being more clear. The high school years, for me, are more about the inspiration provided by the music you learn to love, that you feel you can't do without. If one gets drawn into hearing big orchestral stuff it's good to make the trek to hear that stuff live if at all possible. Recordings are inspiring but are the big lie in this business. That is, it is extremely rare to hear realistic balances and real context by hearing recordings, The only real way to learn that sound is by going to concerts and learning what a good seat in a concert hall is.

High schoolers are best served by maintaining that sense of inspiration that keeps them playing and loving the music from an idealistic sense. If you have a local youth orchestra in your area, audition for it and join it! Play in the best band you can. Don't worry about who the best orchestra is, listen to the music instead. Later on in life you'll hear more and more recordings of the same thing and you'll become more discerning about what you like and why. This notion about the so-called Big Five orchestras is an antique one, held on to mostly by tradition and budget, by how folks are used to thinking. But of course that's being said by someone who isn't in a Big Five orchestra, so, take that for what it's worth.

There's a lot of good music being made in a lot of places. Enjoy it and let it inspire you bit by bit until you feel in your heart that you just can't get enough of it.

ML

8. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Personally, I think the world would be full of better, happier musicians if we all listened to Stevie Wonder on a regular basis. Specifically, Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Songs in the Key of Life, and Innervisions.
    :lol:

9. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I'll 2nd Manny's push to go out and listen to live music. I love electronics and good audio gear, but the truth is 'nothing compares' to live sound, anfd I don't care how many $s you spend. You reallty do need to go out and listen.....
    which I don't do nearly enough.

gregc