Good Range Methods

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by count-bubba, Feb 25, 2011.

1. count-bubba

count-bubba New Friend

Feb 20, 2011
    I was just wondering what the most efficient range, endurance, and tone method is available. By efficient I mean is a fairly easy concept and if practiced lots, will see results quickly. I am 16 and have solid high C's. D's and E's. I can play High G's and A's with a little extra force. I have been practicing for a little under a year for about 1-2 hours a day. I alternate between lip flexibilities by charles colin and the six notes exercise. I have tried the double high C method by Bob Odneal but it didn't seem to spark for me. A lot of info to take in but it would be great for some answers.
    Thanks.

2. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    Me being only 17, take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'd say no more G's and A's. Any note being played with extra force is being played wrongly, and I just see continuation of playing those notes improperly as a chance of creating bad habits. As for helpful exercises with results, I've noticed results within a few months from just playing softer, playing lots of low notes and trying to increase your lower range, and lip slurs. Lip slurs have helped me with range, endurance, and flexibility. Playing softer has also helped with endurance and also with tone and dynamics. I think the best thing you can do for tone is listen to others play, listen to sound in your head, and then listen critically to the sound you make. I spend every night searching for new players on youtube to listen to. Also look for clinics on youtube. You can find many and they'll talk about what you are looking for. Yamaha has recordings of a Allen Vizzutti clinic, John Hagstrom clinic, and Tage Larson clinic that I found very helpful. I've also found clinics and tip videos from Wayne Bergeron, Maynard Ferguson, Rich Wetzel, Jens Lindemann, and others. I'd suggest watching Urban Agnas' videos on his flow studies. Those help with playing in a relaxed way, using your air efficiently, and improving your tone.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I wouldn't worry about it - if your current routine is giving you decent tone, and a solid high E in high school, I would not be searching for some method to give you help.

Any "method" is essentially variations on working on certain aspects of fundamentals - all with the goal of improving the player in some way.

Concentrate on sound, and bringing as beautiful a tone as possible to every note, through the upper register, without forcing anything, and you'll do a lot better than most :-)

4. count-bubba

count-bubba New Friend

Feb 20, 2011
    Thanks guys.
    erd402: Playing softer is a for sure thing that I'm going to start to do. I've been getting told that quite a bit and I'm going to start doing it..
    Thanks again.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The Bob Odneal method is working for me, played very softly with minimal pressure incorporated into my daily practice, I am increasing my playable range by 1 tone every year or so, there is no miracle method I have found, my ambition is a Double C, but approaching 73 I may not live long enough.:D

Regards, Stuart.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The range and power exercises I was given by my teacher a loooong time ago went something like this. Start on low C and slur to F. Go up a half-tone and play the fourth until your last slur is G-high C. Dynamics are F to FFF. The instructions were to make the top note of each slur loudrer,fatter, and fuller. Do the exercise ONLY once a day. At the conclusion, do lots of super low/pedal tones UNTIL the lips tingle. Once you are competent with that, he would move you to the 2nd (discarding the 1st as a practice exercise) Range and Power builder. This one started on middle C and slurred to C#, half step increments until you reached the top of your range and then push GENTLY a little further. The instructions were the same as the 1st exercise. And lastly, the 3rd exercise was like he first only you start an octave higher. Instructions were the same for all of them. :play::play:

7. count-bubba

count-bubba New Friend

Feb 20, 2011
    tobylou8: Ill for sure try that exercise and see if it works for me. How has it worked for you?

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am at a high G with a usable high E. If I only had more time to practice..... .

9. count-bubba

count-bubba New Friend

Feb 20, 2011
    thats great! I'm excited to work on it now.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Let me know how it works for you! :thumbsup: