Good Range Methods

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by count-bubba, Feb 25, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The key to high notes is - high notes. To be able to play more of them, play softer.

Please remember that high notes are only useful IF they are in a musical content. That means you have to do your Clarke etudes up an octave, lip slurs, scales and articulation studies too.

I would not worry about pressure unless it is very excessive. A bit more is natural and is the development stage that most players go through.

2. TRUMPETSIZZLE

TRUMPETSIZZLE New Friend

Nov 21, 2010
    Hold on Rowuk....You are only right in a small way, but you have missed the boat by a mile here.

There are many, many more components that go into improving one's range.
    Following Rowuk's advice will lead you right back to where you started.

It also depends on where you are at and where do you want to go.

Rowuk's advice is general and will work for the intermediate player just trying to get in the first part of the upper register ( HIGH C, D, E ), but will not help with the last part of the upper register ( HIGH F, G ) and it will have little effect on helping you playing well into the extreme upper register ( A above high C to Double C and beyon )

If you are not sure, ask either myself or Rowuk if they have examples of upper register and extreme upper register playing.
    I certainly do.....still haven't found any by Robin

http://www.trumpetsizzle.com

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Easy there fella. This isn't a "who's got the biggest..." forum. I often dislike rowuks delivery, but his advice is rarely off the mark as best I can tell. And this particular post seems appropriate for any level.

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Quote by Trumpetsizzle "If you are not sure, ask either myself or Rowuk if they have examples of upper register and extreme upper register playing.
    I certainly do.....still haven't found any by Robin"

I don't think you will either : )

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Rowuk claims he is an accomplished piccolo player (as in regularly gigging on it). I have no reason to doubt that. As far as I'm concerned, as a listener, that is certainly one of the most pleasant ways to make high notes. It takes extraordinary artistry to make the "extreme high" register palatable. It's a terrific special effect of trumpet and of great usefulness in movie scores. But not everybody is Maynard Ferguson or Jon Faddis.

I admire their performances but I have to admit that, after 10 minutes of Faddisphere or McArthur Park type of playing, I'm ready for a change. On the other hand, I can listen to Maurice Andre for hours on end. Same with Miles. Most lay people I know, or even musicians playing other instruments don't care much for the screaming.

I find it distateful that you had to brag about your screaming abilities. Other contributors here are known to have made a living out of it. They freely give advice on high register and a number of other aspects of playing but do not feel obligated to thump on their chests.

6. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    For range, I have utilized the Caruso Method. I think if you google it or look around enough on the Internet you will be able to find it. But it has around 6 different exercise to work on breathing, tone, range, etc. It can actually be tough because when you are hitting the high notes they are required to be held for a whole count. The KEY to the exercises is that you perform the exercises correctly. Seems straight forward enough and the exercises are easy to follow, but for example on the range part you work on half and whole notes up until you get to the point where you don't hit the note. You then do NOT try to go higher and you do not try to force something out there or beyond there.. and then you take that high note and work on some lip slurs and that high note that you reached earlier is the highest that you take your other studies.

They have shown to be useful to practice.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    What boat is this--the boat of high notes?

High notes don't float!

Robin (and, uhh, most of us here at TM and most that make a living playing trumpet) consider the total package; range is a symptom of, not the cause of making music.

If you want to sell high notes and such with your website that's fine, but please don't insult our community.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sizzle is gonna fizzle and that's the fajizzle!! WORD!:cool::cool:

9. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I believe anything rowuk writes has to be seriously considered.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  10. TRUMPETSIZZLE

TRUMPETSIZZLE New Friend

Nov 21, 2010
    Well, it seems I posted in the middle of a lot of Robin's friends.

Look, by many of his posts I have seen, Robin appears to be a loveable guy whom I would enjoy having a beer or two over a lively conversation.

I am not slighting him so much personably nor insulting the community, but I am getting on his butt about his trumpet comments.

I absolutely could not find any clips of his playing....anywhere...google, youtube....i even looked for some german sites.....none to behold!

So, when someone acts like they know something and it happens to be in an area I play teach and study all day long ...day in and day out plus make my living at, I have to see that this person actually has documentation.....otherwise, he or she could be a snakeoilsman.....selling snake oil as a remedy for anything that ails you......

Why are all of you so afraid to ask ROBIN where video clips of his solos are? Where his beautiful Maurice Andre Piccolo concerto concert clips are?
    Where his video of his last Maynard Ferguson was recorded????

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hello???? Earth to Trumpetmaster community...anyone there????

http://www.trumpetsizzle.com