Good Range Methods

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by count-bubba, Feb 25, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well sizzle, your approach to promoting yourself is classless. As YOU mentioned, it is a community, in which Rowuk is well respected. You have a WHOPPING 8 posts (yoo-hoo), yet you come in here "taking on" Rowuk. Didn't your mother teach you manners? Screechers are a dime a dozen. Only testosterone laden teenage boys go for that. DC/Marching bands are full of them. I know several "screechers" who can wail at the top of the Faddissphere yet can't play grade1/2 exercises from a lesson book. Got something to say? Say it intelligently and lose the self-promotion!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yup. A whole lot of us "have been there, done that" and grown up. Your turn.

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think asking for "documentation" is a question for another thread. The original poster was asking for advice, not an argument over who is the better trumpet player. I think it would only be polite to get back to the subject. If you want to question Rowuk then I believe you should make your own thread concerning it. Or better yet, just talk to him about it over private message. His advice hasn't proved us wrong yet so I know he always has my attention even if I don't completely agree with what he's saying. I know I don't need any proof through recordings which could easily be edited when I already have seen proof through his expert advice. Anyone else have any contributions about developing range?

4. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    To get back to the question at hand...

As an amateur trumpeter with no google/youtube presense but a comeback player who is finding reams of info courtesy of the internet I think that whilst there are no guaranteed range methods per se, there are three essentials:

1. Strong, reliable fundamentals i.e. good sound, good breathing, good habits

2. To play high, at some point you must practice high...but with patience, diligence and above all, musicality.

3. The benefit of an experienced teacher. We all see/hear ourselves from the mouthpiece end but that view is limited and subject to ego-centric interpretation.

I think in addition to the above, for the serious high note player you need the right gear...not to help you cheat your way to the stratosphere but to support you once you're up there !

As far as method books, there are many along the lines of the eight minute abs, the seven minute abs, the 27 second abs and I'm certain they all come with a free lunch ! I find that hymn tunes and spirituals work for many of the above points, so long as you don't turn Steal Away into Squeal Away!!! (slightly odd comment from a confirmed athiest)

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sensing a fizzle to the sizzle! :lol::lol:

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Being able to produce the sound we imagine in our heads is what turns playing the trumpet into a mystical art. In most cases what we imagine is what we have heard other players do and emulate that. Some rare players can imagine and emulate things as yet unheard. We call them pioneers.

The skill set required for pegging a high note is easy to learn. Big breath, air pressure, lips together--Bam! "Look at me, look at me, look at me now!"

A marketable high register, however, is built the same way most methods teach, just expanded--long tones, lip slurs, arpeggios and the like. The acoustics of the trumpet do change around e above the staff, and do require strength (not just brute force) to play expressively and musically up there.

As stated before, the upper register should be a part of the total package.

Have fun!

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    From sizzle starting to fizzle, all that's left now is for you to grizzle! WORD to you mother! :woop::woop:

8. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Back to the original question... if one works on their technical skills / drills, daily practices and challenges his/herself to playing higher notes while playing within their limits then your range will naturally increase over time. Like a weight lifter that gradually lifts heavier weights they will gradually be able to lift even heavier weights but if they try to 'max' out and over do what they are capable of then they will hurt themself and take a step backwards and need recovery time. Same with working with range on the trumpet, work and time will usually generate positive results. I have increased my range by a full octave, but that has been over the course of a year of practice. If you try to go too high above your ability you are likely to negatively affect other aspects of your playing. Like the lifter that cheats to get a weight up versus using proper form from start to finish.

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I went to the web site that trumpetsizzle linked. I contacted him for a lesson. We talked on the phone for a while and I believe that he does have something to offer.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Let us know!