Good Raw Brass polishes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Nov 4, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I am in NZ so I have no access to Flitz or MAAS.
    What I can get is....
    1. Brasso
    2. Nevr-Dull Magic Wadding Polish
    3. Blue Magic Polish compound (Lacquer friendly)
    4. Brass Brite
    5. Brass Shine.

What I think is good -Blue Magic compound.
    Any suggesting polishes?
    Can I buy a electric car buffer as a buffing wheel? Seems like an okay idea, if we tilt the wheel sideways and use it for trumpet....

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
  3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Can you get ahold of Mothers mag and aluminum polish? From an auto store? I think it's the same stuff as Maas but without the lavender

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    If you use a beater horn to practice, go for using a polishing wheel. Be careful, because it can remove a lot of material very quickly. Always keep it moving, don't press into it/let the weight of the machine do the work.

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
  6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    So get some Maas, that mothers may kill

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The link in post #2 shows places in NZ where Maas is available, I have a tube given to me by a TM member, it is great, I use mostly Turtle Platinum Ultra Shine car wax, left over from when my car was new and I polished it.

An electric Car Buffer is the last thing I would use on an instrument, fine for large surfaces like car panels.

If you look at trumpet making on youtube you will see buffing machines being used by experienced users, it looks easy. Typical buffing machines have a motor in the range 1/2 to 3 horsepower and revolve at 3000 revolutions per minute, with a 200 mm dia wheel, the polishing surface is travelling at 113 kilometers per hour.
    Over the years I have had pieces torn from my hands by snagging the wheel and burns on the hands and fingers by accidental contact.

I am not worried by the occasional use of Brasso on a horn causing Ammonia corrosion cracking of the brass, repeated use can cause more wear, I prefer a product that leaves a protective coating to slow tarnishing.

Regards, Stuart.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I had a trumpet re-lacquered and during the process the technician polished it with Blue Hubble. The result is fantastic, but since he is a very experienced brass technician I'd say the result was more down to him than the polish.

--bumblebee