Good Student Model trumpets ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bruce Friedman, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Bruce Friedman

Bruce Friedman New Friend

Jun 8, 2008
    Los Angeles County
    Hello,
    What are good student model trumpets these days? I had (decades ago) an Olds Ambassador. I'm familiar with the Bach Mercedes. The Conn and Benge also were good back then. What else is new and recommended? I'd imagine anything under $200 would not be quite adequate. I've seen some trumpets for about $100 and they were actually not adequate and shouldn't not be on the market. Otherwise, what's good out there these days?

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Lots of good choices out there. I started my son on a Bach TR300. Purchased it used in excellent condition for $200. It played well, stood up to a lot of abuse, and served him well until he got a Bach Strad in high school.

Mike

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
  4. Bruce Friedman

Jun 8, 2008
    Los Angeles County
    Thanks for the ideas/suggestions.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Through me, many student horns and other instruments have passed to another for $200-$300, averaging about $125.00 in needed repairs. With care and maintenance I expect these to be good enough to use through high school. I won't say as much about cases however. Yes, among trumpets these include Olds Ambassadors, Conn Directors, and Getzen Capris. The best of such IMO has been a Besson 609 made by Kanstul that was very near pristine when I acquired it and I still have it.
    It and a Olds Ambassador are what I use to demonstrate with to the 2nd year students I am tutoring. I believe it would be unfair to demonstrate to said students with a professional instrument that student's parents could not afford (nor could I justify for my own usage).

6. Bruce Friedman

Jun 8, 2008
    Los Angeles County
    Thank you Ed. Good info here. Much obliged.
    Bruce

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Bruce, get your mouthpiece out and blow some horns. I love Getzen student horns. All student horns won't project the way one might want. Most will play well enough in tune.

I bought a beat up cornet on Ebay with dents, leaks, and all God awful stuff about it. But, it would be well enough to practice on and improve. And very well enough for a kid.

The brand doesn't matter if it plays in tune, you pay very little for it, and it sounds and plays like a trumpet.

Good luck!

8. Bruce Friedman

Jun 8, 2008
    Los Angeles County
    Hello Richard,
    Thank you for the observations/advice. This is actually for a student, not myself. I began teaching a year ago. My students were all renting up until now. One wants to buy a horn and I want to have good advice. I used the Olds Ambassador in the 1960's and it still is a great student horn. I'm essentially just surveying about for other ideas.
    Thanks
    Bruce Friedman

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Ambassadors are still a very good value. So are Jupiter and Yamaha, although the Yamaha student models tend to be a little pricey, whereas their high level instruments are reasonable. B&S shouldn't be overlooked either.

10. Bruce Friedman

Jun 8, 2008
    Los Angeles County

Thank you for the info Phil.
    Much obliged,
    Bruce