Good Technique Books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JazzTrumpeter63, Jan 31, 2011.

1. JazzTrumpeter63

JazzTrumpeter63 New Friend

Aug 14, 2010
    Hey everyone,

I've been building on some exercises for quite a while from some of my favorite exercise books. And while some of them have virtually EVERYTHING I need, I'd like to know what sort of books YOU recommend as essential for a developing intrumentalist.

So far I already have:

The Basic Caruso
    Arban's
    Clarke's Studies for Trumpet or Cornet (by Hickman music)

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Stop now, you have enough. Everyone I have spoken NEVER finishes with Arbans - let alone the others.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Those are the two my trumpet teacher recommended: Caruso and Clarke. I ended up with Caruso because the store had it. Great books!

Turtle

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Arbans, Clarke, & Schlossberg on the stand and Brandt flopped on the footstool next to it.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    There is so much of that stuff out there, it's hard to tell. Hope some of the contributors here who teach can help you.

From my limited experience, I don't think that any book of technical studies has everything, nor that any of them requires to be studied entirely from beginning to end. Clarke is great, but for lip flexibility, a flexibility book will be better. Arban has the solution to most problems but very limited treatment of minor keys and modes (of course, you can always adapt the exercises for major scales).

The problem with technical studies is that they are often not close enough to the kind of music for which technique is useful. Kopprasch may be better for that.
    Perhaps the question should be: what is the technical difficulty in what I want to play and where do I find the best treatment of that difficulty?
    That's a question for a teacher.

The answer likely depends on what your goals are and what kind of music you want to play.

6. Jfrancis

Jfrancis Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    Hannibal, MO
    Schlossberg, Playing through them according to the date. Today is the 31st. So play exercise 1,11,21,31,41,51,61, etc. Gordon's Systematic Approach - may get through it someday . . . but I also think that it behooves us to create our own design specifically for our playing needs. Another one for me, as I'm typically soloing or doing high stuff is Marty Deutch's Extended Trumpet Range. Yeah absolutely on Arbans, my ADD keeps me from being a very good boy with it