Good Thread Ideas?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Adrianbyrne

Adrianbyrne Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2010
    Oakville, Ontario
    Why do we spend so much time on TMROFL

2. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Doc, this one can open a can of worms !!
    The best that I have experienced is to support the HS music program by sharing your abilities with the kids. I’ve been guest soloist for High school bands in the past, going in to the classroom a few times prior to the concert and running the song with them, talking to them, and always taking the brass section for a class in “Mechanics”, HOW to play not what to play, talking to them about all the finer points of setting up to their horn, no pressure, sitting on your air, etc…… I have always gotten positive feedback from the band director that after I left, the band was “Pumped up” about playing and seemed to play stronger for the teacher and themselves. Nine times out of ten the teacher does not know how to teach this or doesn’t have the time, there’s a ton of reasons, but to have someone come in who can show this to them, so they can see and hear the differences is huge to them. Also, the kids that are really interested end up taking a few private lessons, and that takes them even further into playing more proficiently. The kids I teach privately have all ended up sitting first chair in their school bands, and the band directors that actually take notice of the improvement have contacted me asking what I am doing to help this person play so well. These are the people that interest me enough to go in and do a group lesson in Mechanics. I have always enjoyed working with kids. When I was their age my HS had many of the Pros come in and spend the day with the band and do a clinic and performance that evening. THAT was a big driver for me to continue on the horn. People like Bill Chase, Stan Kenton, and Maynard all did clinic’s at our HS. That’s back when I guess there was actual funding for the school music programs……NEXT….

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree. I volunteer every Tuesday and Thrusday morning of the week to assist the Band Director with the Middle School Jazz Band at our public school system. I love hearing the students call out each and every day when I enter the band room... Hey Dr. O!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To avoid our wives?:dontknow:

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    How about a forum in here where only moderators and resident artists and others ... working pros and the like ... can post but everyone else can't (on those threads). Other forums do this and it could give some, who are reluctant to post, a place to tell stories, give advice and such without any worries about it going off topic.

Turtle

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.
    Maybe you're kidding, maybe not, but your wording would give any "pro" real pause to write anything. You are calling them stuffed suits which is somewhat of an insult. Sure, some may be just that, but many top instrumentalists - not just trumpet players - are anything but stuffed suits and will gladly share their knowledge and experiences.
    Many working pros are just too busy to take time to post much, if at all. They are either teaching, at a job, practicing, or spending time with their families.
    Please be aware that there have been some VILE PMs to some of the pros here and that HAS led some of them to leave.
    Rich T.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So what am I, chopped liver!

Rich, first of all I am a very hard working pro... in both medicine (where I have my fame) and music (in which I am still building a reputation). I am a teacher (full university professor at a school of medicine, with appointments in two departments and an appointment with our School of Professional Psychology), I practice hours a day, and gig on weekends... but I have time and make time for TM. AND I have survived some pretty vile PMs myself here on TM, but keep coming back multiple times a day... Why?

Because in between those posts of humor (humour) that is at an INTERNATIONAL level, there is teaching... good teaching... albeit some chaff slips in... but we have great Moderators here that let us know when we are being duped and seasoned members that care.

I have really learned from many of your posts and truly find high quality in your opinions. I would like to believe I can give a special quality to linking performance woes to medical causes or solutions... and both of us have come back here time and time again because we feel we make a difference. For me personally as an educator, this charges me.

I commend the pros here such as Wilmer Wise that have put up with differences of opinion from people such as me, (albeit, I bet we agree with each other 80% of the time. I do wish more would come on... but it does take tolerance to be speaking to the great (and I do mean great) spectrum of members here. Too bad there are not more musical professionals that do not have this tolerance. And without tolerance, what kind of professional are they, really?

9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    10) Why don't we talke about flugelhorns nearly as much as we talk about trumpets and cornets? Eh? Flugelhorns are AWESOME and we should talk about them more often!

Kujo

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Was not aware of vile PMs. I've gone back and edited my bad post. It could be a good idea.

Turtle