Good Trumpet for High School?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ap001, May 23, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Thanks jiarby ...

2. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Yeah, thanks everyone! So what I get out of this is that you can get a nice trumpet for that will work well for high school around $300. I will keep a look out for these deals.

What do you guys think a good price would be to sell my old Bach TR710?

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi ap001,
    What didn't you like about the TR710?
    I can only find TR711 Bach Prelude trumpets on Ebay. They are selling NEW for USD$288. They look like a Chinese made product to me - can stand to be corrected.

New TR710s seem to be advertised through stores for around USD$600. The spec I found was:
    Technical specifications Prelude By Bach Bb-trumpet TR-710 Lacquered finish :
    Brass bell Ø 4 3/4"
    Gold brass leadpipe, thumb saddle on 1. valve
    Adjustable 3rd slide fingerring
    Stainless steel pistons
    Nickel silver outer slides
    2 water keys
    Genuine VINCENT BACH 7C mouthpiece and valve oil
    Rugged backpack case

There is always a demand for beginner instruments, so if in good condition and well maintained probably about 60-70% of original price. It depends upon demand in your area. Try selling it at school.

BTW - I have some good Chinese trumpets that are clones of Yamaha - and play well, so I do not immediately dismiss all "Made in China" horns as crap.
    I would be keen to see you write a review on the TR710, with the likes and dislikes you found with the horn...and maybe a picture or 2 of it. That would be useful for others.

Best of luck with your future playing.

4. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Well the only reason I'm looking for a new trumpet is because I just don't feel it through mg TR710. It is a good instrument but I put my mouthpiece in another friends instrument and the tone was sounding much better through that one. It could be because there are two small dents in the last curve that goes to the bell. I like the valves a lot but they are rather annoying because sometimes they just seem to loosen themselves.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hey, don't forget about Getzen as a cheap choice. Chet Baker used a Capri for years and the 700 is a really good horn for the money. You could even pickup a Severinsen off craigslist (mine cost $100!). The valves are legendary. The Ambassador is a very good student horn, maybe the best ever, but the aforementioned Getzens will outperform it.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi ap001,

Get a mate (a musician) to listen out the front when you compare horns. It can sound quite different out the front. Compare your TR710 against the horn your friend plays as well, the TR710 may not be as bad as you think. Small dents usually do not affect the sound (just affect you as you know they are there).

In any case Getzen Capris are a step up over student horns of the era. Ambassadors are really good solid student tanks, and can take the hurt. Getzens have good valves, but all these are getting many years on them, so you will need to accept a few dents, dings, pings, wear and tear as the norm. Good luck.

7. ap001

ap001 Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Thank you for the help! But if I do decide to get another trumpet, what do you think a good price would be for selling a TR710. I bought it new for $350 around 4 years ago.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Unless you have to sell it to buy the newer horn, I would keep it as backup. It's never too early to develop N+1!:thumbsup:

9. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Good advice on the GETZENS. A used but very good 700 Ertera II can be gotten for about $350 to $400 if you are patient. You wont be sorry if you go beyond the Ambasador to a pro type horn. Remember, you may still be playing after high school like lots of us do. Why step up again in a few years when you can enjoy a great instrument to help you be a better player. Best wishes.

10. trumpet4u

trumpet4u New Friend

Feb 11, 2008
    Sharonville, Ohio
    Since I recondition and relacquer student trumpets and sell them from my website, I hope my comments are welcome here. The bach student trumpets are imported trumpets and do not play well in the higher register. Several trumpet teachers have sent students to my website for a trumpet that plays better in the upper register. My recommendation to advanced students in high school as listed on my website
    trumpet4u.com
    is Bach Omega, Bach TR300, the New Blessing BTR1266. and the Olds Ambassadors. You can buy used trumpets cheaper on ebay, craigslist. or other classified but after cleaning, dent removal, and valve alignment the end cost will be close to what we are selling them for. I played trumpet professionally in 1948 - 1950 (interupted by service in the Navy) and have been repairing student trumpets for the last 12 years.
    Thanks
    Ralph - Crone Trumpet Repair & Sales

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011