Good trumpet music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oohhh yeah, Apr 28, 2009.

1. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Hey guys, what are some good trumpet music? I already have tons of MF stuff on my ipod but it's getting boring because I'm listening to it too much. I prefer players with laserlike tone, similar to MF. Currently I'm listening to this section in the song "perhaps, perhaps, perhaps" by the pussycat dolls. I hate that song, but the trumpet in it is amazing. You old folks should really google it. What are some good songs/artists that I should get and put on my ipod?

Thanks.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you like maynard then you should check out Wayne Bergeron, Gordon Godwin's Big Phat Band, and the Airmen of Note.

All play big band stuff with screaming soloists.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Look up "Four For Basie" by the Count Basie Band.

Mike does some great work on it as do the other three trumpets. (That's why it's FOUR for Basie)

I think it is on the Swing Shift CD.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    MF..................laserlike tone????????????????????? I don't think so. It must have something to do with your EQ settings or headphones.

In any case, my list:
    Mike Vax, Bill Chase, Jon Faddis, Lew Soloff, Bobby Shew, Pat Hession, Adam Rapa.

They don't have a laser tone either, but some VERY musical high notes!

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Bill Chase with Woody Herman's big band and later if you really like high energy screaming trumpets, with his rock band called "Chase", Cat Anderson with Duke Ellington's band, Bud Brisbois, Lynn Biviano with Buddy Rich's band , Doc Severinsen with the Tonight show band to name only a few.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    hey i agree with others selections, but if you want some oddly amazing "new age" songs with great trumpet in it google nine in the afternoon by panic at the disco or another one of their songs, When the Day Met the Night. The band actually uses a wide variety of instruments including bari sax, violin, trumpet, trombone, etc, but their trumpet players are spectacular

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    This flares up near the two minute mark.

YouTube - Bobby Darin sings "Mack the Knife"

It is good practice to listen to lead vocal share with the band like this, taking turns, then coming together. Notice near the end the brass volume is matched with the vocal.

The fifties music killed the brass, with the "Doo-Wah_dity" vocal, then that was soon replaced by electronic keyboards.

I'm glad some new bands are pulling out the brass, LENKA, a band, featuring Lenka Kripac has a keyboard player that draws from a collection of horns.. lottsa fun watching this band. I believe they are from Australia.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  8. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Eric Miyashiro for the win :roll:

In some cases I like him better than Maynard, his tone (in my opinion of course, which is independant of anyone else's) sounds better to me. Although he's also a killer screamer.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I've just listened to Nick Drozdoff's "No Man's an Island" - nice. I second Airmen of Note - the USAF Band formed in 1950 to continue with Glenn Miller's work, you can download about 32 CDs of .mp3 files from their site, if you wish.

10. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Freddie Hubbard - Open Sesame
    Clifford Brown - Study in Brown
    Art Blakey - Moanin' (Lee Morgan on trumpet)
    John Coltrane - Blue Train (Lee Morgan on trumpet)
    Herbie Hancock - Takin' Off (Freddie Hubbard on trumpet)
    Louis Armstrong - Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven (realistically, any Louis is good Louis. But the stuff with strings isn't to my taste)
    Joe Henderson - Page One (Kenny Dorham on trumpet)
    Oscar Peterson and Jon Faddis - Oscar Peterson and Jon Faddis (Jon Faddis is the trumpet player)

Just for fun:
    Michael Jackson - Thriller