Good Trumpet Schools in Germany

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JustinG007, Apr 5, 2012.

1. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering which music schools in Germany have a good trumpet program.

Thanks!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Some big names (classical) and their schools are here:

Cologne - Urban Agnas
    Karlsruhe - Reinhold Friedrich
    Frankfurt - Dave Tasa
    Hamburg - Matthias Höfs
    Munich - Hannes Läubin
    Freiburg - Tony Plog
    Mannheim - Günter Beetz
    Detmold - Max Sommerhalder

This does not mean that I recommend any or all of them. I am sure that I missed a couple of good ones too. There is a lot of fine trumpet stuff happening in those schools though.

Getting a position in the top studios makes getting opportunities perhaps easier. It does not mean that you will be able to relate to the teacher.

The biggest shock for many Americans here is the attention to "articulation". Students come with tons of flow studies and absolute mush in their tonguing and phrasing perception.

As there are so many students studying trumpet these days, only those that REALLY GET IT end up with jobs. In that respect, Germany is no different than anywhere else. The work ethic of the students from Hungary, China, Japan seems to really put the more casual player in a much different, less successful perspective. The "big" teachers that I mentioned have plenty of students that haven't gone anywhere.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    Good hear this :-)

Articulation has been one of the main things that I have been working on.
    takes up most of of practice time

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    There is a "Mannheim Mafia"--if seeking a job, Mannheim is the place to go. I would love to study with Friedrich, though.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Also, it's not like the American university system with a staff of graduate assistants teaching and with music programs that are huge. In many America programs you can be an average player, get in and, for want of a better phrase, work your way up. And the universities are more than happy to load the student rolls up with income-producing students. In Germany, enrollment is limited. You either cut the mustard from the beginning or you just don't get in.

Many recommend making the professor one's first priority. I couldn't argue with that. But for me personally, location has always been a factor. If it is for you also, you might want to look into that. For example, Hamburg and Freiburg are almost different worlds. I know an American Horn player who studied in Detmold and almost hated the place. Not recommending anyplace, just saying you might want to consider the locations, as well.

Depending on your goals, Justin, there are other tiers of instruction at state, county and city-wide schools of music, as well as a few private post-secondary schools like the Jazz and Rock Schule, Freiburg and the Frankfurter Musikwerkstatt.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  6. JustinG007

JustinG007 New Friend

May 14, 2009
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks for all of the information. This really helps in my search of colleges.